Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly off topic but relevant I think.

I used to cycle all the time with both children when they were younger and both eldest son and younger daughter always enjoyed it.

Son now 15 still loves cycling and is decent MTBer and getting into being a Lycra clad lout like his old man.

My wife cycles too but is slightly more a fair weather cyclist but not knocking her for that.

But daughter has totally stopped since she started high school. Don’t know if it’s because it’s not cool to ride bikes or too hang out with your auld man or what. She’s still fit and and active but bikes are a total no no.

Son didn’t lose interest at all. Maybe just my kids or has anyone else had the same?
Its very common for girls to stop cycling at High School, there's a fair bit of research into it :-/

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Its very common for girls to stop cycling at High School, there's a fair bit of research into it :-/

Did they discover why they chose to stop??

Julia9054

Guru
Nay, I found it's the kind of shop.
LBS let's call him 1, youngish chaps owners and workers, sponsor a local track racer, focus on fast fast, bling, carbon, downhill Mbiking, blah blah.
They are good mechanics though, and stock a good range of bikes.
Those ones never listen to me: by now they should know I commute, still "are you riding today" almost had me in fits of laughter! Like, I'm a weekend racer or something!
When I said my brakes don't work, they did not believe me.
I asked to buy a pedal spanner, they looked at me like, "she's a weird old woman"

Lbs let's call them 2, are a family business, selling bikes suitable for any kind of riding, focusing on families.
They listened to what I wanted, they got the bike in the right size for me, went back to get stuff changed/added no probs no charge, shame they only stock Merida, I don't like the brand.

LBS 3, an old fashioned bike shop long closed now, was my nearest, run by a man in his '60s, he kept wanting to dissuade me from buying stuff.
Don't buy this it's too expensive, don't buy that you don't need it.
But I want it, bless! :laugh:
The bike he sold me 7 years ago when I started commuting is still going strong, it's my ice bike/trailer bike now, a sturdy commuter with rack and mudguard.

Evans in town: ha!
The 20 something boy wanted to sell me a totally unsuitable high geared bike, because "my girlfriend has one and she loves it"
Young man, can you not see I'm of Granny age, I need all the gears I can get?
And I said shopping, commuting ... not racing!

Cycle republic, on the other hand, a branch in town frequented mainly by commuters, listened to what I wanted, procured it, was not fazed at all by a woman into utilitarian cycling.

Ime, it's not the age of the bike mechanics or sales people, it's the kind of clientele they want to attract.
Interesting post Pat. Evans Boy sounds like he needs to grow up a bit and develop some people skills!
My worst experience was with a small shop in Tadcaster. I had made a special trip to visit them as i was having some uncomfortable saddle issues and had read online that they had a saddle library. The owner clearly had a clear idea about what constituted a "proper" cyclist and it didn't include a woman on a cheapish carbon framed bike (no steel, my beard wasn't long enough and I hadn't been cycling since 1950). He spent about 15 mins insulting/patronising me and I left without buying anything.
Specialized sorted my saddle issues out. Should have gone there first but was reluctant to discuss undercarriage issues with enthusiastic young lads (a couple of which I used to teach!) I needn't have worried - they were very professional!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

OK so it's largely social pressure, one way or another, fear of not fitting in, that sort of thing

Plus a legitimate fear of traffic, which we all share.

Maybe there's a tendency for women to be less physically assertive, in general, so they don't always find it easy to claim their place on the road.

So more support and encouragement, role models that sort of thing perhaps? .
Cycling seems to be waking up to, and now shedding quite a lot of its 'boys club' image.

As others have suggested the bicycle was an early symbol of women's emancipation, and liberation.

Let's keep that up.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Plus a legitimate fear of traffic, which we all share.
No we don't.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No we don't.

You don't?
Or you mean you know others who aren't feared?

Where is this benign, and considerate, traffic? I'm coming right over.

I was almost clipped by a 'leisure' van in the lanes only yesterday.
Their desperate need to get to the coast before me, on a Sunday lunchtime, nearly put me in the hedge. :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You don't?
Or you mean you know others who aren't feared?

Where is this benign, and considerate, traffic? I'm coming right over.

I was almost clipped by a 'leisure' van in the lanes only yesterday.
Their desperate need to get to the coast before me, on a Sunday lunchtime, nearly put me in the hedge. :sad:
You said that we all share a fear of traffic. I pointed out that that isn't true - for instance I'm not afraid of traffic. I've not done as much riding as I'd like recently, but when I do it's usually in London and rural England. On the other hand I've been unafraid of traffic whether I'm riding on my usual roads or others, at all times of the day or night.

Three observations. First, when I learned that most drivers really don't want to hurt you I started enjoying my riding much more. Second, my observation is that people who report being afraid of traffic report far more near misses and crashes (see post above). So I suspect there's a bit of a distorted perception.

Third, and most importantly in the context of new rider encouragement, telling everyone how unpleasant and dangerous your pastime or mode of transport is isn't the best way of getting new people to do it - especially people who might be risk averse.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oh I agree, in regard to not making folks overly scared.
Maybe wary, is a better word than frightened.

I'm not that frighted really, but have had some moments with inconsiderate drivers.
Only actually been knocked off twice in over thirty years of riding.

I mostly ride in rural areas, seldom towns or even A roads, if I can avoid it..
I'll go the long way round for preference.

Cos arguing with a lorry, is seldom going to end well, no matter how much morally in the right you are.

There is a small contingent of @rsehole drivers who believe the road is their exclusive property.

I agree most drivers don't wish us cyclists actual harm, but there's quite a few that don't serm prepared to put in the effort to ensure our safety.

Guess it comes down to education as ever.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It’s incredible that in some countries it would appear that women aren’t allowed to ride a bicycle. Link

“I love the colours in the autumn and the snow here. I'm learning French but it's so difficult! I'm also learning to ride a bicycle and I'm trying to learn how to swim and ice skate.”

This is not limited to Saudi Arabia. Even within parts of the UK women are discouraged from cycling.

Search 'Fozia Naseem' and 'Hopon.Bike

This woman was voted one of the Cycling UK's Woman of the Year 2018 for her commitment to get more women, particularly from minority communities, onto bikes.

Top Bottom