Fenix BC21R V3 Front Light - Any Experiences Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Nice summary. To be fair to the new version of the BC30 I think that moving to an internal battery with USB charging was a retrograde step, it made the light more compact but lost the ability to quickly swap batteries for extended use. Adding a charge circuit to the new battery would have been a poor choice as well IMO as there would have been more points of failure if the port broke (not uncommon with heavy use) as well as additional ingress routes for moisture. The cam system on the battery compartment as well as a good o-ring have meant that even in the worst weather there has never been any problems with water in the light itself. I'm using the original o-ring 7 years later and I still have a couple of spares in the box.

The battery life does seem to tally with what I've seen in terms of usage with 2x3500mah nitecore batteries and so I've no reason to doubt the figures in the charts above, they seem reasonable to me. With a couple of sets of batteries there is no reason this lamp shouldn't last even a full winter night ride with decent visibility at around 200 lumen or great at 600 although that might be cutting it a bit fine!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice summary. To be fair to the new version of the BC30 I think that moving to an internal battery with USB charging was a retrograde step, it made the light more compact but lost the ability to quickly swap batteries for extended use. Adding a charge circuit to the new battery would have been a poor choice as well IMO as there would have been more points of failure if the port broke (not uncommon with heavy use) as well as additional ingress routes for moisture. The cam system on the battery compartment as well as a good o-ring have meant that even in the worst weather there has never been any problems with water in the light itself. I'm using the original o-ring 7 years later and I still have a couple of spares in the box.

The battery life does seem to tally with what I've seen in terms of usage with 2x3500mah nitecore batteries and so I've no reason to doubt the figures in the charts above, they seem reasonable to me. With a couple of sets of batteries there is no reason this lamp shouldn't last even a full winter night ride with decent visibility at around 200 lumen or great at 600 although that might be cutting it a bit fine!

Thanks!

In principle I completely agree with what you're saying about internal batteries and on-device charging; the removable batteries being by far my single biggest draw to this range of lights.

I may have completely the wrong end of the stick, however it's my understanding that the current BC30R (internal battery, USB-charging) was introduced in 2017 so pre-dates the BC30 v2 (removable battery, off-device charging) as discussed here.

These appear to be two distinct models that Fenix are evidently happy to run side-by side; which seems to be a little odd considering their attitude with the BC21r and BC26r - in which they appear to have incorporated the best of both the 30-series models (if you consider USB-charging to be a bonus; I share your reservations to an extent).

Given the format of the 20-series and the fact that the 30-series apparently hasn't seen an update in the time it's taken Fenix to move from the BC21r v2 to v3, I wonder if we won't see a new BC30r soon.. obviously with removable batteries please or it can GTFO.

I'm only drawn to the twin-battery model due to its far more consistant light output with falling voltage. I suspect this is due to the fact it runs two LEDs so for a given total light output they only have to be driven at half the input voltage (assuming a linear relationship, which is probably an over-simplication but still..) - meaning it can tolerate a lower battery voltage before the regulation circuitry sees fit to cut output.

I'd be very happy with one of the single-cell offerings if one could do, say 250-300lm consistantly throughout its charge rather than this stepping-down sillyness.. which is avoided with the BC30 on all but it's highest of settings.

Thanks for all your input so far - you clearely think a lot of your example which is certainly encouraging :smile:

si_c

Guru
I may have completely the wrong end of the stick, however it's my understanding that the current BC30R (internal battery, USB-charging) was introduced in 2017 so pre-dates the BC30 v2 (removable battery, off-device charging) as discussed here.
:smile:

The BC30 was their first bike light; I got mine in winter 2014/15 IIRC and it was replaced entirely by the BC30r.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The BC30 was their first bike light; I got mine in winter 2014/15 IIRC and it was replaced entirely by the BC30r.

Thanks - although not entirely it would seem as the BC30 v2 is still on sale, after being released in 2020 it seems :smile:

si_c

Guru
Thanks - although not entirely it would seem as the BC30 v2 is still on sale, after being released in 2020 it seems :smile:

Yeah the V2 came out a couple of years after the BC30r, their products are good, the product naming and versioning scheme, dreadful.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Yeah the V2 came out a couple of years after the BC30r, their products are good, the product naming and versioning scheme, dreadful.

Cool - fingers' crossed for a v3 tailored to my exact requirements soon, then :tongue:

I agree the naming convention could be a bit more straightforward..

yossarian 5891

Nice summary. I've been looking at all these lights recently too.

Ive noticed Fenix were refreshing their line. Am totally disappointed they didn't include clear vertical cutoffs in their beams considering they are bike focused. I wish they offered 2 versions. Or made something with swappable lenses. I get people might want flood like beams off road.

I've been patiently waiting years for an interchangeable 18650 focused beam. Over the years I've changed from normal torch like beams, to dynamos, and then some stvzo rated lights. Now I've seen the benefit of properly shaped beams: light where you need it, doesn't blind others, far longer runtimes (far less lumens for the same lux), I'm constantly on the lookout for such a light that can swap batteries.

I'd run a dynamo all the time, if it wasn't for the fact the risk of the bike being stolen is too much in London for me.

The only decent light I've seen with interchangeable batteries that fills this gap is the B+M ixon iq premium. But it runs aa's. Ravemen make good lights in a similar form facter, excellent beam patterns, but with integrated batteries unfortunately. But they can run off a power bank, so it's was always another option I was considering if I need to extend run times. They are another company I'm like, make the cells interchangeable and disrupt the cycling light market.

I am always sitting on the fence about the bc30 as the lens looks like it only reduces glare instead of actually being shaped.

I know fenix have some proper shaped beams in their lineup, so I was really hoping they would combine the qualities of both their old lines. Even if their cutoff lights weren't stvzo compliant, by all accounts they looked really good. There are very few companies that were designing both types.

My use requirements are not just commuting, but delivering, and long audaxes. Long times out on the road. The world really needs to move on from integrated batteries in such devices, mostly because its not economical or environmental in the long run.

I feel like Fenix got so close to a perfect product. Seems strange to me. The new lights are basically torches with a bike mount. They could have created a bit of market seperation and appealed to so many more people.

I'll probably end up with the ixon iq premium. It's 10+ years old now and a bit long in the tooth. I currently use a CatEye Gvolt 60. The run times are insanely good for the amount of lux it puts out.

I think the bike light industry is awash with forced obselecence. I was excited to see Fenix were updating their lines, they look great and well made, but disappointed with the direction they've taken. Sorry for the rant...

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran

I bought the BT20 on 05/01/2014.
It had the lens with the fresnel panel at the top and was described as a shaped beam for cycling but imho, it was very poor. Bright but not a usefully shaped beam. Angled to illuminate enough road ahead and it was painfully dazzling to anyone coming the other way. Angled low enough so as not to dazzle others and it was stupidly bright just immediately in front of the bike (if that far ahead) and ruined any visibility beyond. I even tried modifying it with a large reflective "visor" (see attached pictures) but it was no good. I eventually replaced it in October 2015 with dynamo StVZO lighting and haven't regretted it - still using it today and still thinking it's great.

EDIT: I hasten to add that I am a big fan of Fenix torches, having bought them before the BT20 and since the BT20. Apart from their bike lights, I have high regard for the brand.
The BT10 and the BT20 were the first bike lights produced by Fenix - iirc, they were introduced at the same time as each other.

Attachments

• IMG_0721b.jpg
    IMG_0721b.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0726b.jpg
    IMG_0726b.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers both - appreciate your thoughts!

As it stands I've stepped back from these lights having found new appreciation for my (single remaining-working) head torch with its focussable / angle-able beam.

I'm now looking back towards a head torch with an onboard front light for identification, however very few head torches seem to offer the features I'd like.. :sad:

Top Bottom