Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
It was Covid related and Brittany ferries are now back to normal as shown below - so go book & enjoy :smile:

"Brittany bans bikes – what's the story?​

A number of Cycling UK members have contacted us about Brittany Ferries' current policy not to carry cyclists. Cycling UK’s ferry fan Sam Jones investigates and sees if there are any alternatives

***Update 23 February 2021***​

Brittany Ferries are now running a normal service and carrying cyclists."

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was Covid related and Brittany ferries are now back to normal as shown below - so go book & enjoy :smile:

"Brittany bans bikes – what's the story?​

A number of Cycling UK members have contacted us about Brittany Ferries' current policy not to carry cyclists. Cycling UK’s ferry fan Sam Jones investigates and sees if there are any alternatives

***Update 23 February 2021***​

Brittany Ferries are now running a normal service and carrying cyclists."

Ah yes. I remember that now. Sort of ... in so far as my flaky brain remembers anything.

iluvmybike

Über Member
So it doesn't explain why @grldtnr is having trouble today.
Nope - but he has all the info and if he's not able to do it online all it needs is a phone call - but he seems reluctant to do. They have always been very helpful when I have rung them in the past

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

What dates are you trying? I just made an aborted fake booking on the Brittany Ferries website for Portsmouth to St Malo for early May, 2 people, 2 bikes, 1 cabin each way. No problem seen.
28 July to 8 Aug, maybe it was because it was 2 o'clock in the morning, and unresponsive, but I am after Thinking, they sooner fill with more profitable traffic.
Apart from losing cabin space to cyclist, they can still book cars into the hold, cycle storage I'd fead hold space,so it doesn't affect vehicles.
I will try again normal hours, as everyone else has had sucess

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Nope - but he has all the info and if he's not able to do it online all it needs is a phone call - but he seems reluctant to do. They have always been very helpful when I have rung them in the past
Just allergic to help lines, my common expect is that they are not, just the opposite,.
Granted ,that tends to be heavily used utility and techy companies, not relatively simple ones like very companies, but begs the question why at 2 0'clock in the morning , I had little joy.
Incidentally I booked a flight with BA, on a unrelated journey , no problems, so it's not being Savvy enough.
Just me trying to find if it is a problem ,

iluvmybike

Über Member
Just allergic to help lines, my common expect is that they are not, just the opposite,.
Granted ,that tends to be heavily used utility and techy companies, not relatively simple ones like very companies, but begs the question why at 2 0'clock in the morning , I had little joy.
Incidentally I booked a flight with BA, on a unrelated journey , no problems, so it's not being Savvy enough.
Just me trying to find if it is a problem ,
I just tried to do a dummy booking for 2 adults and 2 bikes and it was dead easy

Julia9054

Guru
Any of the helpful people on here fancy working out how to get a sensible answer from Direct Ferries? I’m losing the will to live. Unfortunately they have 537 of my pounds or I’d go elsewhere!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Don't know if it helps but I refuse to press buttons on phones and normally with a few exceptions I get put through to a real person after a short while. Just ignore the robot requests to try again and be patient for a couple of minutes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Any of the helpful people on here fancy working out how to get a sensible answer from Direct Ferries? I’m losing the will to live. Unfortunately they have 537 of my pounds or I’d go elsewhere!
shoot reviews on trustpilot might make them call you, according to a post on https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowT...enburg_Vastra_Gotaland_County_West_Coast.html

Edit to add, as it's more than 100 pounds, if you paid on a credit card, contact your card provider because Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes them jointly responsible for the voucher not being honoured and they may claw the money back for you. Or you can sue them if they won't help and you should win but they may cancel your card after :laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Don't know if it helps but I refuse to press buttons on phones and normally with a few exceptions I get put through to a real person after a short while. Just ignore the robot requests to try again and be patient for a couple of minutes.
This is a strategy I use on occasions, usually after a first failed attempt, and it works very well.

Chislenko

Veteran
Seen plenty of cyclists on Brittany Ferries but as pointed out they did stop bikes during covid, quite why I don't know.

I am sailing with Brittany in March and will have a bike with me on the way back.....but it will be in the back of the car!!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was on a DFDS Newhaven-Le Havre ferry a couple of years back and it was rammed with cyclists. Turned out my trip coincided with PBP

Top Bottom