Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

St Malo is lovely, has to be said. Would probably be my fave if it didn't take me just a little too far west for my usual needs.

Speaking westwardly, I've not been to Roscoff. Pre pandemic, I was planning a motorbike jaunt to Ireland and would have gone that way. Maybe this year?

Chislenko

Veteran
St Malo is lovely, has to be said. Would probably be my fave if it didn't take me just a little too far west for my usual needs.

Speaking westwardly, I've not been to Roscoff. Pre pandemic, I was planning a motorbike jaunt to Ireland and would have gone that way. Maybe this year?

We did Roscoff a couple of times, by car not bike, and it was ok. First night we stopped in one of the many towns / villages in that area that pay homage to General Patton.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've travelled Plymouth - Brest once, ages and ages ago as a foot passenger. I don't remember much about the crossing so it must have gone well. We then travelled by train stopping at various places in Brittany. First holiday with my wife (to-be as she was then). I remember we missed a train somewhere along the line and it was All My Fault.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'd forgotten about Plymouth. People do.

We are going Plymouth - Bilbao end of this month, it is our preferred route now.

Always used to do Dover - Calais and drive down through France but of late I have no desire to donate any of my hard earned to Emmanuel.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not noticed him at the péage. I thought he had a day job.
What's more, Chirac privatised most of them with long concessions, so Macron only sees anything from Mont Blanc and Frejus IIRC. The other government-run autoroutes don't charge.

Less driving may be good but that is a mistaken motivation.

yello

Calais, and all that neck of the woods, is a pain In the butt for me. And Dover et al are the wrong side of the county too. All things considered, a false economy. An overnight ferry (with cabin) might cost a little more all up but it is more civilised.

Sadly, took me a couple of trips to learn that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Calais, and all that neck of the woods, is a pain In the butt for me. And Dover et al are the wrong side of the county too. All things considered, a false economy. An overnight ferry (with cabin) might cost a little more all up but it is more civilised.

I regularly travel out to the Granville area. Really pleasant simple drive from Cherbourg, pleasant too from St Malo, ok drive from Caen Ouistreham, but a multi-hour ballache to drive from Calais.

Chislenko

Veteran

Yes, I'm with you on that, the Macron bit was tounge in cheek!

We also are on the west side of the country hence we go to Plymouth. With a decent cabin (don't go for the real budget one) it is a pleasant sail to Bilbao or Santander.

Ten minutes off the boat at Santander you are on the motorway which we never have to leave until we get to Seville where we turn right and another motorway all the way to the Algarve.

Of late we have started having an overnight halfway down Spain.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've not looked, let alone mapped it, but I could imagine it's not pleasant getting out of Le Havre by bike - unless you take a coastal route north through Etretat.
Not done out, but did in, from Saint-Saëns via Yvetot and Bolbec. Was straightforward and simple enough, apart from one roundabout (acts of Garmin). Last stretch into town was mostly off-road and straightforward. Bit of a steep climb (if you're going out) the only real issue.

yello

We also are on the west side of the country hence we go to Plymouth. With a decent cabin (don't go for the real budget one) it is a pleasant sail to Bilbao or Santander.
That's the sort of thing I like; making the journey part of the experience rather than just 'getting there' going head on.

yello

Re Ouistreham (watch the movie btw!), there's a 'bridge' just east of Caen which frightens the bejusus out of me when I'm on my motorbike. It's well arched, and exposed - if there's wind and rain (which I've had) it really isn't pleasant. I've now plotted a route avoiding it, just in case. Fortunately, it's short - we're not talking Dartford crossing.

On a bike, though, the route alongside the river/canal is a pleasant way to get to Caen, or further south. A great way to start a French cycling holiday!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re Ouistreham (watch the movie btw!), there's a 'bridge' just east of Caen which frightens the bejusus out of me when I'm on my motorbike. It's well arched, and exposed - if there's wind and rain (which I've had) it really isn't pleasant. I've now plotted a route avoiding it, just in case. Fortunately, it's short - we're not talking Dartford crossing.

On a bike, though, the route alongside the river/canal is a pleasant way to get to Caen, or further south. A great way to start a French cycling holiday!
You thinking of the Pont de Normandie? You can cycle over it. (I never have, but it was part of the plans for one trip, but didn't make the final cut0
1646229252952.png

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You thinking of the Pont de Normandie? You can cycle over it.
You can, but in a westerly gale it can be quite 'interesting'. The designated cycle lane is quite narrow and feels very close to the truck wheels. It can be safer to use the the slightly raised footpath but that too is quite narrow (with panniers). It's a pity they didn't combine the two into a dual use path so it was a bit wider for both.

There's no problem with the route to and from the Le Harve ferry port and the bridge. The roads are very wide and there's cycle path for much of it. You can even cycle along a massive commercial quayside that doesn't seemed to be used anymore.

Top Bottom