Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

There's no problem with the route to and from the Le Harve ferry port and the bridge. The roads are very wide and there's cycle path for much of it. You can even cycle along a massive commercial quayside that doesn't seemed to be used anymore.
Thanks for that info. I've only ever been in the car for the journey to/from Le Havre so I didn't know what bike routes where do-able. It just looked grim from my window!

@Dogtrousers the bridge I'm thinking of is much smaller than that, on the Caen peripherique. Google informs me it's the Viaduct de Calix....

pont-calix-caen-2.jpg

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Thanks for that info. I've only ever been in the car for the journey to/from Le Havre so I didn't know what bike routes where do-able. It just looked grim from my window!

Yes you're right. It looks like it was all laid out to be a massive industrial development which didn't all happen. Some has become a nature reserve but most is a maze of underused roads. But the industry that is there gives the place a certain 'piquancy'.

It's worth doing a bit of research as to the best route. The yellow Michelin maps aren't really detailed enough and finding all the correct turns can be quite stressful when time trialling to make the close of check-in time for the ferry.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Ugh! Booking bikes onto ferries is a nightmare. I'm trying to book the three of us onto a DFDS (not P&O) ferry for the summer. Each individual fare is £25. (one way).

* Each person is £25 but 1 adult and 1 child is £25 total. Great. Free child? However you only seem to get 1 bike for that.
* 2 adults and one child booked together however are £125 (how??) but we STILL only get one bike.

I could book my husband/son together and me separately (cheapest way) but we would still only have two bikes registered.

I can't book all three of us separately (thus three bike bookings) as my son is 12.

What do I do?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
How is a family on bikes unusual tho :smile:
It's England, if you don't turn up in a giant SUV, overweight with kids in the back eating KFC for dinner it can only mean you're weird or foreign.

How is a family on bikes unusual tho
I know from (different) experience that booking a "landbridge" from NL through the UK to Ireland by car was always better done (and cheaper) over the phone.
It's England, if you don't turn up in a giant SUV, overweight with kids in the back eating KFC for dinner it can only mean you're weird or foreign.
With respect, that's exactly the kind of attitude that'll mess up your nomad experience.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I know from (different) experience that booking a "landbridge" from NL through the UK to Ireland by car was always better done (and cheaper) over the phone.

With respect, that's exactly the kind of attitude that'll mess up your nomad experience.
I apologise, but dealing with what should be a simple matter in so many places is infuriating isn't it? In the UK we are so behind in so many ways. Do many countries I have been to simple things such as this are not even a thing.

I apologise, but dealing with what should be a simple matter in so many places is infuriating isn't it? In the UK we are so behind in so many ways. Do many countries I have been to simple things such as this are not even a thing.
And in those countries you'll find that they mess up things that are perfectly normal and usual in the UK. That's travel - to experience the differences - even at home.

In Ireland, home from NL (where everything runs on time or is well flagged if not) I asked as I bought a bus ticket how long the journey would take. "F****d if I know" was the answer from the ticket seller. When I asked the bus driver he laughed and said it depends on traffic. ^_^
Infuriating or typically laid back Irish? Your call.

Top Bottom