Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I like the Newhaven-Dieppe route, it's probably my fave all things considered. Price and journey time, and Dieppe is also easier/more pleasant access than Le Havre or Caen (Ouistreham) though St Malo is good too , and obviously it depends on where in France you're going. I have very rarely used Calais or Dunkerque, and never Boulogne, because they are all wrong part of the country for me (ditto Dover and Folkstone)

Newhaven's a bit of a pain to get to (by car) though the coastal route from Eastbourne is superb and makes the journey worthwhile for almost that alone.

I got a seacat ferry thing one time, to Cherbourg I think, but that was ages and ages ago. Golly, I'm starting to get all nostalgic over ferry journeys!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm joining you in nostalgia.

I really enjoy ferry travel. Unlike flying, which is a misery to be endured you can relax a bit. Provided it's not rough (remembering one particular Seacat from Cherbourg crossing).

Our last DFDS to Le Havre wasn't great as I messed things up and we didn't have a cabin, which I regard as a must-have.

So I hope @grldtnr gets it sorted and has a great trip.

yello

I've a recollection of a hovercraft crossing sometime too. Not sure when or where, might have only been to the IOW, and I'm so hazy on it that it might have been a dream! (blimey, would I dream of ferry crossings? What a sad git I am!)

I remember a rough crossing from somewhere, may have been St Malo. Seas so rugged that the departure was uncertain and delayed. I was on my motorbike and a bit nervy about boarding. All was fine however, and I was right as rain on the crossing. My wife is not so lucky with the sea legs and a cabin is a must if there's even a swell. She's got to lay down, eyes closed, not see the sea, and pretend to be elsewhere!

Cabins are luxury for me and I'm out like a light, waking only on the '1hr until arrival' chime. My biggest problem on the longer crossings is invariably boredom.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Seen plenty of cyclists on Brittany Ferries but as pointed out they did stop bikes during covid, quite why I don't know.

Presumably it was for reasons of economy. They drastically restricted the number of passengers allowed on the ferries due to social distancing regulations, so it made sense to have as many of those passengers as possible paying £300 (or whatever it is) to travel in a car, rather than a cyclist paying nothing more than a foot passenger (IIRC they were refused carriage as well?)

Last edited:

yello

I rode across to the one in Niort whenever it was*. I stayed a couple of days and then came home. Once is enough. Far too many people on rides for my liking. I was lucky in that the campsite I was on was close to idyllic, and quiet - that made it for me. I think I enjoyed the ride to and from more than the event itself.

*edit: 2012 - blimey, was it that long ago!

Last edited:
OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

I rode across to the one in Niort whenever it was*. I stayed a couple of days and then came home. Once is enough. Far too many people on rides for my liking. I was lucky in that the campsite I was on was close to idyllic, and quiet - that made it for me. I think I enjoyed the ride to and from more than the event itself.

Am I derailing my own (new) thread?

*edit: 2012 - blimey, was it that long ago!
I used to partake in the CTC Birthday rides, so used to mass rides,the relative proximity to the channel ports of St.Malo, maked it attractive, I've not done the SemFed in bicycle form, but have done a big sailing rally in the MorBihan, do expect it will be familiar

yello

Anyone ever used Weymouth? I picked up my brother from there once, at some sparrow fart time. I don't think he realised just how from London it was. I had to get up at some silly time to go and get him!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone ever used Weymouth? I picked up my brother from there once, at some sparrow fart time. I don't think he realised just how from London it was. I had to get up at some silly time to go and get him!
I think I did, many decades ago, when there were still boat trains, so no pick-up needed.

I think this is the only ferry still serving Weymouth and it's not going to France! https://www.coastlinecruises.com/routes/2/portland-ferry

yello

I think my brother caught the Weymouth ferry from St Malo, or maybe Cherbourg. It would have been around 1999 I guess. First and only time I've been to the ferry terminal there.

yello

I've not looked, let alone mapped it, but I could imagine it's not pleasant getting out of Le Havre by bike - unless you take a coastal route north through Etretat.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've not looked, let alone mapped it, but I could imagine it's not pleasant getting out of Le Havre by bike - unless you take a coastal route north through Etretat.
I would imagine so. I have only entered/left France by bike from Cherbourg and St Malo, partly because the approaches are nicer.

Top Bottom