FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The answers (or at least the theoretical ones) can be hypothesised here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ - this is the website that bpsmith refuses to read :laugh:
The website that I refused to read for a third time, as you know. ;)

You keep spouting it, albeit being rather old now too. What actual real life experience do you have? Just for once, feel free to share your knowledge on aero wheels that you have actually ridden?

Citius

Just for once, feel free to share your knowledge on aero wheels that you have actually ridden?

You are assuming I am posting from a position of no knowledge. Why? Because you don't agree with it?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You are assuming I am posting from a position of no knowledge. Why? Because you don't agree with it?
No, because the lack of posts imparting any of this actual knowledge suggest this. How else are we to know what experience you have?

Citius

What aero wheels do you own and/or have ridden? What are your thoughts on them? What wheels and bike do you normally ride?

How is that relevant to the wheels you have bought? I could make up any old answers and you would be none the wiser. All anyone can do is offer input based on the questions posed, and then justify that reasoning through a process of discussion. You are welcome to either accept or dismiss such arguments as you see fit. My own, personal, specific kit choices are utterly irrelevant.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
How is that relevant to the wheels you have bought? I could make up any old answers and you would be none the wiser. All anyone can do is offer input based on the questions posed, and then justify that reasoning through a process of discussion. You are welcome to either accept or dismiss such arguments as you see fit. My own, personal, specific kit choices are utterly irrelevant.
My questions were rhetorical. You clearly weren't going to answer. You aren't following your own advice and answering the questions posed or entering into real world discussion based on your experience. Hence, like others, I take your replies with a pinch of salt.

Citius

You aren't following your own advice and answering the questions posed or entering into real world discussion based on your experience.

I am, actually. My real world experience is that deep section wheels are great for flat TTs. Far less useful in road races or crits. But I'm pretty sure I already said as much several pages ago.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I have a set of Swissstop Carbon pads on there, yes. Thanks for questioning though, as I might age forgotten, or somebody may gain from that in future reading.

I have made 2 test rides, so far, without major rain or wet roads. My plan is now to clean the Bianchi and keep it for dry conditions. I have the Defy ready for wet weather from here on.

It's a fair point about how components perform compared to other components with other riders. Definitely no way to compare with multiple variables. Would be interesting for you to compare your own times with your Superstars, with your times using his Bullets though. Or likewise, his times on his Bullets with his times using your Superstars. Perhaps swap wheels to compare maybe?

It's interesting reading, when others try to impart their 'knowledge' on you when they have no experience of the kit they are commenting on. This isn't meant at you specifically, as you have a more balanced way of replying with your actual experiences educating your response, but more aimed towards others who comment but have clearly no experience of what they suggest the have 'knowledge' about.

Clearly, you are pleased with your purchase. I am pleased for you too. I have no reason to have any other emotion. I am also pleased with my purchase. Thank you for your comments on how they look also. :smile:
It's a tricky one, I went from R501's to the superstars, yes they felt great, but I think I tried harder on them because I wanted them to feel better as much as anything. I certainly went quicker through the TT season, but I believe this was through a whole bunch of reasons, improved fitness as the season went on, acquisitions of a skin suit and a TT helmet, course knowledge, better pacing, like I said loads of reasons. That's not to say the wheels didn't help, I think they did, just probably not in a massive way some people expect.
My last TT on our clubs 10 course I posted a time 39 seconds quicker than my previous TT on that course a month previous using identical kit, I can't put that down to my wheels.........
I'm not criticising your wheels, I think everybody can buy what they want, I like the look of your wheels too! I guess I was like you when I got my wheels, I will probably do the same again when I try my Planet X deep section carbons and tubs I've bought for this season for the first time! So long as they make you want to ride your bike and bring a smile to your face then jobs a good un.
Everybody and I mean everybody, I know who's quick are quick for one reason and it isn't the kit that they ride or use! It's because they train bloody hard and don't give up!
But you know this already :okay:

huwsparky

Über Member
I would be genuinely interested in that too. Ideally with the same hubs and spokes, but it will never happen unless someone knows a wheel builder prepared to build said wheels. Would also need perfect conditions and same rider in same form. Practically impossible?

GCN have a good video, that I posted previously, showing standard wheels vs Aero wheels of similar weight. Aero wheels have a weight of 1,810g, so hardly the lightest.Results are interesting.

View: http://youtu.be/pUdC3mrHcc8

Interesting video! One problem for me to make a comparison, he can make a lot more power than I can!!!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Good wheels them, I have the F6R with 240s hubs.
Looks like you have FFWD hubs, which are 350 hubs rebadged, which are very similar to the 240s hubs, but have a slightly heavier hub-shell.
Mine are still true 18 months on.
They seem pretty rapid once you get them in the 20-25mph zone for fast training rides (struggle to keep them above 25mph on my road bike :laugh:), seem like my aluminium wheels under 20mph (just stiffer).
Look after those hubs (see YouTube for DT Swiss hubs), as they should last you years if well-maintained.
When you need new rims, contact FFWD and they will let you have new ones for 50% RRP
Enjoy riding them :okay:
Yes, mine are the 350 rebranded hubs. Will check out YouTube, as you suggest. Not thought about maintenance yet, but j do like to be proactive on these things too.

The rim replacement is a great service IMHO. Hopefully a long way off yet.

As for the speeds, I too have found my effort easier with speeds above 20mph. Can sustain even higher speeds for longer. Ascending feels good, with the stiffness, but descending is even more noticeable. With a 70kg 175cm frame, I was finding myself pedalling hard downhill to keep up with the bigger guys who weren't pedalling. Much closer speeds now.

Top Bottom