FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Whatever you think about the performance of them, they do look the business.
Cheers!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nice to see a Bianchi that isn't celeste. Unfortunately, the shed is....
Nice touch with the cabling though. I would mention the groupset manufacturer, but since I sold my Bianchi I don't have to pretend to care about that any more.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Nice touch with the cabling though. I would mention the groupset manufacturer, but since I sold my Bianchi I don't have to pretend to care about that any more.
Cabling was my addition a few months back.

I hear you on the group set, but then a Matte Black frame isn't exactly in the old skool Bianchistyle either. Quite like the fact that it's not following the norm tbh. Not seen another one around here, although obviously they must be out there.

I make up for it by wearing a Celesté long sleeve jersey in weather such as this. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Test ride of 33 miles today, in swirling crosswind. When the wind dropped the bike really wanted to stay above 20 mph. Swirling winds did catch the wheels more than the Zonda's, as expected, but not as much as the 58mm versions would have. Went well when facing completely into the wind when sheltered from the coast by houses.

Did some climbs too, into the wind and with a tailwind, once away from the coast. Certainly a great choice weightwise. Descending was amazing. Managed to get 7th place on a 1.3 mile 3.5% average descent on one segment with direct headwind. Not bad out of 595. Was slowed by traffic halfway, so KOM might have been close, as missed it by 10 secs. 30 secs faster than my best before that, and that time was with a tailwind.m

Overall, I am chuffed with my choice!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Second spin on the F4R's today. Unbelievable wheels. Chuffed to bits!

Far from my fittest, after barely any riding over past couple of months, Ali g with Christmas pounds.

Barely any wind and managed to be only 6 secs slower than a local segment that we all gun it on. My PB was at my peak in early Summer with significant tailwind. I wonder how long it will be before someone takes the 2016 KOM off me. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Probably well worth shelling out on then if they helped you to go slower than before!! BB
You really can't understand the significance of getting so close to a PB, which was done at peak fitness with significant tailwind.

You really are a plonker it seems.

I must be. BB

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
My superstar elite ultra 30's come in at 1510g with 30mm rims and cost £156.
I think there is a huge choice of wheels now that don't break the bank.
I take it you are using carbon specific brake pads? If it were me I'd take em off now and save them for the summer no point trashing them in filthy conditions, wet grit and brake pads mixed with carbon rims doesn't sound great. They do look very good though.
A mate of mine bought the bullets last year for somewhere in the region of £600 he hasn't beaten me in a TT yet ;)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
My superstar elite ultra 30's come in at 1510g with 30mm rims and cost £156.
I think there is a huge choice of wheels now that don't break the bank.
I take it you are using carbon specific brake pads? If it were me I'd take em off now and save them for the summer no point trashing them in filthy conditions, wet grit and brake pads mixed with carbon rims doesn't sound great. They do look very good though.
A mate of mine bought the bullets last year for somewhere in the region of £600 he hasn't beaten me in a TT yet ;)
I have a set of Swissstop Carbon pads on there, yes. Thanks for questioning though, as I might age forgotten, or somebody may gain from that in future reading.

I have made 2 test rides, so far, without major rain or wet roads. My plan is now to clean the Bianchi and keep it for dry conditions. I have the Defy ready for wet weather from here on.

It's a fair point about how components perform compared to other components with other riders. Definitely no way to compare with multiple variables. Would be interesting for you to compare your own times with your Superstars, with your times using his Bullets though. Or likewise, his times on his Bullets with his times using your Superstars. Perhaps swap wheels to compare maybe?

It's interesting reading, when others try to impart their 'knowledge' on you when they have no experience of the kit they are commenting on. This isn't meant at you specifically, as you have a more balanced way of replying with your actual experiences educating your response, but more aimed towards others who comment but have clearly no experience of what they suggest the have 'knowledge' about.

Clearly, you are pleased with your purchase. I am pleased for you too. I have no reason to have any other emotion. I am also pleased with my purchase. Thank you for your comments on how they look also. :smile:

huwsparky

Über Member
I'd love to know what the actual difference would be between aero and non aero wheels of the same weight say at @275w over a 10mile TT. Anyone hazard a guess? 10s maybe???

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I'd love to know what the actual difference would be between aero and non aero wheels of the same weight say at @275w over a 10mile TT. Anyone hazard a guess? 10s maybe???
I would be genuinely interested in that too. Ideally with the same hubs and spokes, but it will never happen unless someone knows a wheel builder prepared to build said wheels. Would also need perfect conditions and same rider in same form. Practically impossible?

GCN have a good video, that I posted previously, showing standard wheels vs Aero wheels of similar weight. Aero wheels have a weight of 1,810g, so hardly the lightest.Results are interesting.

View: http://youtu.be/pUdC3mrHcc8

Top Bottom