FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had first hand experience with Dengfu where i was a member of the main (european) forum and ordered a frame. I was initially impressed with the products being sold etc but as i started asking, legit, questions regarding warranties etc they stopped me from posting and deleted any post i had made that would call in to question their product. All in all they were basically censoring the posts and only allowing positive posts to be printed. After many many weeks of f*ck ups a man with very bad English got in touch to say there had been a problem with the order and it would take a few more weeks. I asked for a refund, which i eventually got 3 weeks later. Lesson learned. That's before we talk about product quality.

Each to their own but there are plenty of stories out there concerning defect products coming in from less renowned carbon fibre distributors.
I didn't know there was a Dengfu forum, have you got a link?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have bought 100's of thousands of products from China, by the 40ft HC container load. I wouldn't buy anything that had any risk to life or limb without employing my own QC on site and designing the product in house. Much like the major bike brands have if it is not their own manufacturing plant. Having dealt with China and seen what some suppliers are prepared to do to cut corners or make more profit I wouldn't risk putting my backside on an unbranded bought direct bike or parts. My view is somewhat tainted through experience though.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
A set of 1200g 38mm tubs for less than £300 - I think that's a pretty good risk. Especially if you know people already riding them...
Reading up a bit on tubs, I think that they aren't for me. Would rather stick with the quality race clinchers that I usually go for. Ok, clincher wheels will never match them for weight, clearly. As for the risk, as mentioned above, it's too much hassle if something goes wrong. Arguably, you can afford to buy another set for much the same total spend, but you just end up with another set waiting to go wrong potentially. I am sure that there are many people who don't have issues, but the nagging doubt would be too much for my brain to handle. :smile:

I didn't know there was a Dengfu forum, have you got a link?
Apologies if that came across as Degfu having a forum. It is a forum, and site, where Chinese carbon is sold on the cheap. Dengfu are one of the main sellers. It looks amazing at first but i didn't like the censorship one bit. They kept all the posts where i said good things and deleted the rest. Very questionable behaviour.

Velobuild

Velobuild forum

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Apologies if that came across as Degfu having a forum. It is a forum, and site, where Chinese carbon is sold on the cheap. Dengfu are one of the main sellers. It looks amazing at first but i didn't like the censorship one bit. They kept all the posts where i said good things and deleted the rest. Very questionable behaviour.

Velobuild

Velobuild forum
Ah ok, I saw velobuild forum but relied on peer reviews on UK, Aussie and US forums and blogs when I got my frame and bought it direct rather than a group buy. A few people had commented on Velobuild being selective on what was being published, so I discounted it as being reliable.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I didn't buy any of the above over the weekend. The weight element kept bugging me, so decided to let it go.

Then, randomly, I found a great deal on these F4R Full Carbon Clinchers:

image.jpeg

Lower weight than my Zonda's. 45mm depth and 23mm wide too. New school aero. Should arrive on Monday. Happy days!

Edit: Coming from Arnhem, hence Monday delivery. Always seem to find the best deals abroad these days.

Last edited:

Citius

Wow - a massive 45g lighter than a set of £180 Quattros

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Wow - a massive 45g lighter than a set of £180 Quattros
Think you'll find that they are 200g lighter than the Quattro's. Don't get the comparison to Quattro's anyway? They're 35mm deep, for a start, and have none of the features of the F4R's I have ordered. ;)

Think you'll find that they are 200g lighter than the Quattro's. Don't get the comparison to Quattro's anyway? They're 35mm deep, for a start, and have none of the features of the F4R's I have ordered. ;)

Shouldn't you be out training so that you can get the county TT record once the wheels arrive, instead of arguing about them on here?
BB

Citius

My mistake - the difference is 85g, not 45g. And to be fair, they are a full 10mm deeper, which makes all the difference (not). I use Quattros as a comparison because they are less than £200, they come in at 1725g and they will do 99% of the things which you have just bought the FFWDs for. Although the stickers are nicer, to be fair.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Shouldn't you be out training so that you can get the county TT record once the wheels arrive, instead of arguing about them on here?
BB
Indeed. Why am I wasting my time trying to reason with people on here?

Can't see the difficulty with subtracting 1,525g from 1,725g? Straight forward to me.

Top Bottom