FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do the wheels need to have alu rims? That's where the extra weight is coming from. Another consideration would be maintenance. Are replacement spokes and rims easily available for these wheels? I've got a set of Fulcrum 1's with quite worn brake tracks but there aren't any replacement rims out there so the wheels are unusable. Fulcrum will happily rebuild them, they won't sell the rims, for about the same price as brand new Zero's!! They also use 16/21 spoke count, meaning it is near impossible finding an alternative rim to rebuild the hubs with.

I pointed this out to a friend recently who was interested in buying Zipp or Enve carbon clicnhers. Sure you can afford them in the sale but if you crack a rim, or damage it in anyway, can you afford to replace?? These days i tend to factor in service-ability too. I cracked my wheelsmith 38mm carbon tubular front wheel and had to get it replaced and rebuilt. Total cost was £218. It's an expense that you could do without but it is affordable.

I will point out a few sites where you might find their wheels interesting. Do with as you please.........

Wheelsmith carbon Aero 38 - 50 -60

Wheelsmith 45 - 58 dimpled

Superstar components wheelbuilder page - customise your wheels by picking rims, spokes and hubs - currently 25% off until midnight. Serious value!!

Note on Superstar: I specced C66 carbon rims (20/24) with sapim laser spokes and awesome DTSwiss 240 hubs, all for £554.99. Usual price of £740!! Bargain with serious hubs. I just bought Pacenti sl23's from them for a bargain price using this discount.

If you are insistent on the wheels you listed then...............i'd favour the Mavic's. A mate has them and they are a little heavy but nice wheels. Well he likes them. He doesn't do hilly rides on them though.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Actually not bad looking, assuming it doesn't have Carbonzone randomly over hub and rim. Hardly that aero though?

I am not a fan of ordering from some unknown Chinese seller and waiting 6 weeks for delivery.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
@Pedrosanchezo Is spot on with the service aspect also are the wheel available separately. I have had the same issue with a set of Fulcrum Zero's.

From now on its going to handbuilts for me, or at the very least a serviceable rim and or you buy just a back or a front replacement.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
No, you :smile: what's cheap and light for one might be expensive and heavy for another
I was led down that question path by the repeat offender which takes stuff off topic any time they can.

For me, I guess the acceptable weight to price trade off was the three that I listed. Out of the high street brands, they are where I am at. Don't think that I missed any? Just looking at those other links posted above. Wheelsmiths look nice so far.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd look for something less fugly...but then all carbon deep dish wheels are...especially for £1000, I'd want something appealing to the eye!

Citius

@Pedrosanchezo Is spot on with the service aspect also are the wheel available separately. I have had the same issue with a set of Fulcrum Zero's.

From now on its going to handbuilts for me, or at the very least a serviceable rim and or you buy just a back or a front replacement.

Servicability is a consideration if you plan on handing down your wheels to other family members in your will. For everyone else, wheels are a consumable commodity where good value can be had if you know where to look...

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I'd look for something less fugly...but then all carbon deep dish wheels are...especially for £1000, I'd want something appealing to the eye!
Clearly no Aero wheel of 50mm rim depth is going to suit you then. Who said anything about £1,000. I will be pay almost half that amount this long weekend.

Citius

Actually not bad looking, assuming it doesn't have Carbonzone randomly over hub and rim. Hardly that aero though?

38mm is probably the ideal compromise depth for 'real world' riding. Shallow enough to allow light weight, deep enough to provide some aero benefit.

I am not a fan of ordering from some unknown Chinese seller and waiting 6 weeks for delivery.

Carbonzone is hardly an unknown seller. One of the longest-established Chinese sellers out there.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
38mm is probably the ideal compromise depth for 'real world' riding. Shallow enough to allow light weight, deep enough to provide some aero benefit.

Carbonzone is hardly an unknown seller. One of the longest-established Chinese sellers out there.
I hear you, weight wise, but not a great benefit over my 26mm front and 30mm rear depth on my Zonda's.

Carbonzone have been a seller since 2010. Is 5 years the longest of all Chinese sellers of cycling kit?

Factor in customs and excise and not so cheap. What happens warranty wise?

Citius

I hear you, weight wise, but not a great benefit over my 26mm front and 30mm rear depth on my Zonda's

Aero benefit is pretty marginal in any case, regardless of depth. You have to weigh up the aero benefit you might or might not get against the pose factor you require.

If Carbonzone were just a bunch of crooks who never fulfilled their orders, there would be warnings about them all over cycle forums. But there aren't.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Aero benefit is pretty marginal in any case, regardless of depth. You have to weigh up the aero benefit you might or might not get against the pose factor you require.
Got to be more aero benefit with 50-60mm compared to 38mm.

Is it still pose factor, if it's for my own benefit rather than others? I want my bike to look appealing to my eyes. Not bothered what others think tbh.

Servicability is a consideration if you plan on handing down your wheels to other family members in your will. For everyone else, wheels are a consumable commodity where good value can be had if you know where to look...
If you damage your rim then i'd suggest it's a big issue. Huge in fact as warranty won't cover it! Wasted money. If your hub fails then are the company you bought it from going to honour their warranty? Will it take 1 week or 6?

Wheels can be considered consumables as much as a Specialized Venge can be. It's all down to perspective. I consider a wheelset of this worth not to be a consumable but an item than can be consistently fixed, replaced and rejuvenated.

Hand built wheels come into their own in this regard. Especially if you pick hubs that will last a very long time. Then you can replace spokes and rims as much as you like. Even more so if you can build your own wheels.......

Top Bottom