FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Trivially, yes - but the (very marginal) gains are probably not worth the expense for someone who doesn't race. Which brings us back to the pose value. See below.

Definitely. That's what posing is all about.
So, yet again, you reckon there is no performance gain worth having.

My definition of posing must be different to yours. I see posing as openly showing off with what you have despite what you think of the object yourself. This inherently centres around what others think.

Personally, I am the opposite. I buy for what I feel or think and not bothered whether others like stuff.

FWIW @bpsmith i find the 38mm carbon tubs i have to be the most versatile wheelset i own - in terms of performance, not practicality.

On anything that isn't pan flat they would get me from A to B the fastest.

I also bought the Zonda's btw, after my Fulcrum 1's were wearing, and they are an amazing wheelset for £230 - £240. As are the Pacenti Sl23's. The latter have a wider rim and are very impressive for the £££.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
FWIW @bpsmith i find the 38mm carbon tubs i have to be the most versatile wheelset i own - in terms of performance, not practicality.

On anything that isn't pan flat they would get me from A to B the fastest.

I also bought the Zonda's btw, after my Fulcrum 1's were wearing, and they are an amazing wheelset for £230 - £240. As are the Pacenti Sl23's. The latter have a wider rim and are very impressive for the £££.
So how do all of your wheels compare to the Zonda's? What sort of gains are we talking about? See, I knew there would finally be done value within the replies. Cheers!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Work it out yourself. Use the Cda data on http://www.analyticcycling.com/WheelsConcept_Page.html and enjoy...

If you're looking for someone to agree that buying deep sections is a fantastic idea for you, then that person is not me - unsurprisingly...
I wasn't looking for you, or anyone, else to agree. I was looking for someone with experience of the 3 wheels in question. It worst, was looking for someone to share their own Actual experience of aero wheels vs standard depth wheels. Not bothered about some article/study that proves only what the author wants. I thought you had grown out of such practice, but am disappointed. :sad:

I am awaiting @Pedrosanchezo has to say about real world experiences. I regard that as a higher level, even if it is subjective, before you say that also.

Citius

Not bothered about some article/study that proves only what the author wants

You haven't even looked at it, have you? It's not an opinion article - and it doesn't prove or disprove anything - it is a series of scientific formulas which you can use to work out what your prospective gains might be. If speed gains are even remotely interesting to you, then it's probably the most useful link on this thread.

Citius

If you damage your rim then i'd suggest it's a big issue. Huge in fact as warranty won't cover it! Wasted money. If your hub fails then are the company you bought it from going to honour their warranty? Will it take 1 week or 6?

Same for pretty much any wheels, factory-built or otherwise. At least most of the Chinese wheels are available as individual components - most of the hubs and spoke combinations they use are universally available from other vendors like DT, Sapim, Novatec, Joytech, etc...

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If Carbonzone were just a bunch of crooks who never fulfilled their orders, there would be warnings about them all over cycle forums. But there aren't.
What items have you bought from Carbonzone, or any other Chinese seller direct?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You haven't even looked at it, have you? It's not an opinion article - and it doesn't prove or disprove anything - it is a series of scientific formulas which you can use to work out what your prospective gains might be. If speed gains are even remotely interesting to you, then it's probably the most useful link on this thread.
I do believe that you pedalled that link in another thread a little while back. Recognised the URL and not going to read it again.

Citius

I do believe that you pedalled that link in another thread a little while back. Recognised the URL and not going to read it again.

What a bizarre thing to say. Obviously I can't make you read it. If you're serious about aero gains, then it's worth a read and worth doing the sums. If you're only interested in looking cool, then clearly that kind of enlightenment is not for you.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
What a bizarre thing to say. Obviously I can't make you read it. If you're serious about aero gains, then it's worth a read and worth doing the sums. If you're only interested in looking cool, then clearly that kind of enlightenment is not for you.
As stated, I have read it once. I remember it being based on a 20 year old study.

Out of interest, have you seen this very recent test?

View: http://youtu.be/pUdC3mrHcc8

Quite impressive, and hardly matches your figures.

So how do all of your wheels compare to the Zonda's? What sort of gains are we talking about? See, I knew there would finally be done value within the replies. Cheers!
Honestly i think the Zondas are an amazing wheel for the money. Fulcrum 1's of 2010 were around 1550 grams and the Zondas are exactly that. Probably trickle down technology really. There isn't a huge difference between the likes of Zondas and Fulcrum Zeros. Weight and ceramic hubs. They are both aerodynamically similar so why pay double the price? 100 of so grams and better hubs. Both are a massive pain if you need to replace rims though.

Something like Zondas compared to my 38mm carbon tubs. Well first off there is a quantifiable weight difference. They weigh under 1200 grams and they are aero. Put them on any bike and the difference in feel is instantly noticeable. They are quicker and they do climb better. It's not massive but then the pursuit of speed is more a combination of (dreaded phrase alert!) 'marginal gains'. Being carbon though they can crack! Hit a massive pothole at speed and you might do damage. More often than not though you will damage a spoke at worst.

I've had 50mm carbon tubs too and i found they were actually slower of a lumpy ride. They are more aero on the flat but the reality is we live in the UK and not Australia - we have lumps, bumps and plenty of hills.

Same for pretty much any wheels, factory-built or otherwise. At least most of the Chinese wheels are available as individual components - most of the hubs and spoke combinations they use are universally available from other vendors like DT, Sapim, Novatec, Joytech, etc...
I suppose it comes down to 2 questions: Is the potential saving worth risking a warranty issue - in which case you have to ship back to them and have a lengthy wait on your hands? & do you feel as safe with your purchase as you would with the likes of Wheelsmith or similar wheel builders with a solid local reputation? If so why?

There have been no issues? Look here to see one example of an unhappy customer. Or 2.........

I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that will last and most of all i don't need nagging doubts in my head whilst going down a hill at speed.

Top Bottom