FFWD F6R vs Campag Bullet vs Mavic Carbon Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Build quality is important, I agree. But where do you think Wheelsmith gets his carbon rims from?

Build quality is important, I agree. But where do you think Wheelsmith gets his carbon rims from?
Gigantex.

As do Planet X and many many others. There is a reason for that! They are the leading brand for carbon rims.

A good builder won't do anything stupid like sell 20mm carbon clinchers that weigh 900 grams and sell to Tom, Dick and Harry. Before you even consider quality control from Carbozone, Denfu, Farsports, etc etc etc then you also have to consider the real world cycling experience these people have when selling these types of wheels on a whim.

As for personal experience i happen to know a rider who has delaminated chinese carbon clinchers twice on descents now. Both resulting in a blowout. More the fool he is should he go for a third.

Citius

Gigantex.

As do Planet X and many many others. There is a reason for that! They are the leading brand for carbon wheels.

A good builder won't do anything stupid like sell 20mm carbon clinchers that weigh 900 grams and sell to Tom, Dick and Harry. Before you even consider quality control from Carbozone, Denfu, Farsports, etc etc etc then you also have to consider the real world cycling experience these people have when selling these types of wheels on a whim.

As for personal experience i happen to know a rider who has delaminated chinese carbon clinchers twice on descents now. Both resulting in a blowout. More the fool he is should he go for a third.

Gigantex are not the only company capable of turning out decent rims. Once again, I am not talking about carbon clinchers - never have been. The issues with heat dissipation on those are well documented.

Gigantex are not the only company capable of turning out decent rims. Once again, I am not talking about carbon clinchers - never have been. The issues with heat dissipation on those are well documented.
Clinchers or tubs. Doesn't matter. I am simply saying you won't see a a decent wheel builder selling anything other than wheels that they consider safe to ride in all conditions.

Citius

Clinchers or tubs. Doesn't matter. I am simply saying you won't see a a decent wheel builder selling anything other than wheels that they consider safe to ride in all conditions.

No argument there. But that doesn't mean that wheels from Carbonzone, Dengfu, etc are inherently less safe than any other. Most brands have their issues, Chinese or otherwise...

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Interesting couple of replies @Pedrosanchezo. Where I am, in South Wales, is rather lumpy but I also have some coastal areas that I can do TT's. Am considering trying this out next year tbh, hence the wheel interest.

Looking at Alu rimmed clinchers, as that is what I know and can afford. Got no experience of anything else, but do continue with regards to the benefits of tubs and carbon rims please.

Citius

For flat TTs, then any deep section will do - clincher, tub, alu brake track or otherwise. Weight doesn't really matter, but aero does.

For general leisure riding, you don't need tubs and you don't need deep sections anyway.

No argument there. But that doesn't mean that wheels from Carbonzone, Dengfu, etc are inherently less safe than any other. Most brands have their issues, Chinese or otherwise...
I had first hand experience with Dengfu where i was a member of the main (european) forum and ordered a frame. I was initially impressed with the products being sold etc but as i started asking, legit, questions regarding warranties etc they stopped me from posting and deleted any post i had made that would call in to question their product. All in all they were basically censoring the posts and only allowing positive posts to be printed. After many many weeks of f*ck ups a man with very bad English got in touch to say there had been a problem with the order and it would take a few more weeks. I asked for a refund, which i eventually got 3 weeks later. Lesson learned. That's before we talk about product quality.

Each to their own but there are plenty of stories out there concerning defect products coming in from less renowned carbon fibre distributors.

Citius

Like most things, buying Chinese is a compromise. You have to be prepared to take a hit if it goes wrong, because the process of sending it back to China (if that is even an option) is such a pain in the arse that it is probably not worth doing. The upside of that is the price you pay. You just have to weigh up the risks against the savings.

Top Bottom