Film Musicals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
High Society is my all-time favourite. I can't remember how old I was when I first saw it, but the singing, the storyline and the acting just entranced me and my appreciation of it hasn't changed down the years.

Watched it again this afternoon after a morning out walking (first time watching it for a couple of years). Flopped on the settee, big cup of coffee, ration of a couple of rather nice chocolate biscuits still hanging around from Christmas...

Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly.

Magical.

:bravo:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Singin' in the Rain.

Ste T.

Guru
Our whole family are big fans of musicals having been brought up on them, mostly big MGM productions, but if I had to pick one it would have to be Singing in the Rain.
For me it has everything, great cast, great songs, great dance routines and a cracking comedy script.
" Oh Zelda!"

Rocky Horror for me

meatloaf-hot-patootie-157.jpg

Ste T.

Guru
When our youngest was going through colic we would be up through the night with her. Rocking her and pacing the living room I would watch it, sometimes back to back and singing the songs to her and my fave is "You are my lucky star" followed by "singin in the rain."

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I love them all but....

Oklahoma and South Pacific score highly. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is great. Once More With Feeling, which is a Buffy episode is wonderful. Moulin Rouge is fabulous. This probably doesn't count, but the film version of La Boheme with Villazon and Netrebko is to die for.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thinking on this some more and looking at what people are posting, I find most of may favourite film musicals also have a strong comedy element to them. So apart from the aforementioned High Society (where the entire cast has a hand in the comedy), there's White Christmas (yes, I know it's not Holiday Inn of 1942, but Danny Kaye's comedy timing - and dancing - plus Vera-Ellen's dancing too - is just brilliant) and even the much-overlooked Robin and the Seven Hoods - the last of the 'rat pack' films.

Singin' in the Rain is high on my list too - excellent. I was watching the '100 Greatest' thing recently where they talked about Debbie Reynolds dancing until her feet bled in that movie. So many of these musicals have great back-stories.

It's true - they don't make them like that any more.

the snail

Guru
Some great choices there, I'd add West Side Story and On the Town
"New York, New York, a helluva town. The Bronx is up but the Battery's down, the people ride in a hole in the ground"

Top Bottom