Film Musicals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pedantry alert - I don't think Astaire did 'Puttin' on the Ritz' on film until Blue Skies - I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Top Hat. 'Pick Yourself Up' from Swing Time is one of the most joyous Fred n Ginger things, I think....

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPgplMujzQ[/media]

D'oh!

I mean Top Hat, White Tie and Tails.

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks that Moulin Rouge is 'shoot' just has to be on my ignore list! It's a turning point in the history of cinema!

Moulin Rouge is one of those films I really wanted to switch off before it finished but I sat through in the hope it got better. The quality of singing wasn't a problem for me. It reminded me of Plunket and McClean. That one's not a musical but I found it unwatchable in the same way although looking at it on paper I'd expect to like both. Maybe it was trying to be too clever or in the words of Edmund Blackadder it was one step away from someone saying "Hey nonny nonny".

Night Train

Maker of Things
Moulin Rouge is one of those films I really wanted to switch off before it finished but I sat through in the hope it got better. The quality of singing wasn't a problem for me. It reminded me of Plunket and McClean. That one's not a musical but I found it unwatchable in the same way although looking at it on paper I'd expect to like both. Maybe it was trying to be too clever or in the words of Edmund Blackadder it was one step away from someone saying "Hey nonny nonny".
I went to see it at the cinema and ended up walking out part way though. I wasn't the only one either.

Cabaret for me. The storyline is exactly the sort of story I don't usually like, but the period setting really adds to it and makes it work for me- I am interested in military history.

Another musical film set in this time is To Be Or Not To Be, a Mel Brooks comedy film set in a Polish theatre under the German occupation. It's more than a little politically incorrect- this is Mel Brooks we are talking about- and has a dark undercurrent as well.

Ste T.

Guru
Intelligenthamster,

Cabaret,
I've only seen it once and that was years ago. What I do remember is the chilling scene where the young boy stands up in the beer garden and begins singing "Tomorrow belongs to me" As the shot pulls out from a tight crop on his face we see he is wearing a Hitler youth uniform. Then one by one everybody starts to stand and join in. Very poignant.

Top Bottom