Film Musicals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No, it is utter shoot. But then Baz Luhrmann is a talentless nurk.

I didn't like his R&J, and I was in slightly better shape when I saw that. McGregor's horrible singing was the thing I couldn't really get past with Moulin Rouge. The disastrous nepotistic casting of Helena Bonham-Carter as Mrs Lovett in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd I found similarly horrifying....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Arch

Married to Night Train
A while back, I was searching YouTube for Gerry & the Pacemakers' version of You'll Never Walk Alone which I did find...

[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smO4VS9134[/media]

And then I discovered that the song actually comes from the musical Carousel which I've never seen, but would quite like to if this is anything to go by...

[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V9EbnNx6U[/media]

Carousel was the Leicester Haymarket's Christmas musical one year. We happened to go to a matinee for some reason, and found ourselves almost entirely in the company of coach parties of OAPs. Just after a vital piece of action, a voice piped up, in thick Leicester accent "Ooooh! Ee's stabbed hisself...."

Rogers and Hammerstein aren't top of my list, generally a bit too mawkish, although I'll happily singalong with most of the songs.

I'd agree about Astaire and Rogers - Top Hat would be my favourite, with Puttin' on the Ritz best song in that. I am forever in awe of Astaire (and Rogers, who did it all backwards and in high heels), and Gene Kelly and the like for appearing utterly weightless when dancing.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Carousel was the Leicester Haymarket's Christmas musical one year. We happened to go to a matinee for some reason, and found ourselves almost entirely in the company of coach parties of OAPs. Just after a vital piece of action, a voice piped up, in thick Leicester accent "Ooooh! Ee's stabbed hisself...."

Rogers and Hammerstein aren't top of my list, generally a bit too mawkish, although I'll happily singalong with most of the songs.

I'd agree about Astaire and Rogers - Top Hat would be my favourite, with Puttin' on the Ritz best song in that. I am forever in awe of Astaire (and Rogers, who did it all backwards and in high heels), and Gene Kelly and the like for appearing utterly weightless when dancing.

Pedantry alert - I don't think Astaire did 'Puttin' on the Ritz' on film until Blue Skies - I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Top Hat. 'Pick Yourself Up' from Swing Time is one of the most joyous Fred n Ginger things, I think....

[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPgplMujzQ[/media]

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks that Moulin Rouge is 'shoot' just has to be on my ignore list! It's a turning point in the history of cinema!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I don't 'get' musicals. Cinema is make believe, and then in the middle of a scene the whole cast starts warbling some soon-to-be-over-hyped song - yet the bystanders carry on as if nothing happened......?

I like my escape from reality to be a little more believable.....soz

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't 'get' musicals. Cinema is make believe, and then in the middle of a scene the whole cast starts warbling some soon-to-be-over-hyped song - yet the bystanders carry on as if nothing happened......?

I like my escape from reality to be a little more believable.....soz

I don't "get" people who can only do Realism - it's just genre, CP...

Top Bottom