Film Musicals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Beanz, your mention of Danny Kaye reminded me of 'Court Jester', great musical film with Danny Kaye, Basil Rathbone, Glynis Johns and a few others. Great songs like 'You'll never Outfox the Fox' and of course "the palace with the chalise is the brew that is true and the flagon with the dragon has the pestle with the poison" or something like that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtime_for_Hitler

My favourite - from under der rug...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Singin in the Rain and West Side Story, of course. Gigi and and An American in Paris are great for the divine Leslie Caron, and the latter also has Gene Kelly in it. You just don't get actors like him any more, who combine masculine presence with real grace. Some of the best musicals for sheer verve are the ones that are less well-known in the mainstream, like Stormy Weather, a black musical featuring some of the most talented performers ever - Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson, Cab Calloway, the astonishing Nicholas Brothers and the gorgeous Lena Horne.

Watch the finale and marvel...

Incidentally, it's the patronising waste of another great black performer, Louis Armstrong, that makes me dislike High Society...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Singin in the Rain and West Side Story, of course. Gigi and and An American in Paris are great for the divine Leslie Caron, and the latter also has Gene Kelly in it. You just don't get actors like him any more, who combine masculine presence with real grace. Some of the best musicals for sheer verve are the ones that are less well-known in the mainstream, like Stormy Weather, a black musical featuring some of the most talented performers ever - Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson, Cab Calloway, the astonishing Nicholas Brothers and the gorgeous Lena Horne.

Incidentally, it's the patronising waste of another great black performer, Louis Armstrong, that makes me dislike High Society...

Only partly agree. Louis had to wait til Hello Dolly to be properly patronised, and the band in HS is the real deal. Bing belongs in that kind of company- see Rhythm On The River- and his musical affinity with Armstrong isn't a Hollywood confection.

Singin in the Rain for me, closely followed by On The Town. Hoping Dellzeqq will forgive me when I wish that everyone involved in Moulin Rouge burns in Hell, or spends eternity listening to Mame, but then I was completely off my tits when I saw it.

Bring on the Rodgers n Hammerstein, or Hart. Special mentions for How to Succeed, The Pirate, Holiday Inn, and Victor Victoria. And the entire Astaire-Rogers oeuvre, especially Swing Time.

And 3BM- The Court Jester could be my Mastermind thingy. Have you seen Wonder Man?

One of Clint's first films - Paint Your Wagon!

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

Sun Valley Serenade

and, of course, Singing in the Rain.

OP
OP
beanzontoast

I know I should like West Side Story more than I do given the quality of the score and the dancing - not sure why I don't. The Romeo & Juliet-based storyline maybe?

Take your point about wasting talent. Now You Has Jazz from High Society is truly excellent though - at least in that Armstrong and the band take centre stage.

Top Bottom