Films you saw as a kid and redisovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes - good guy - I saw Bugsy Malone when it came out and always thought that a brave film. I mean the entire idea sounds so shite. There's some excellent very naturalistic scenes in Melody - I think of the ones with the kids sitting around nattering about stuff - I think there's something in that BFI clip where Parker describes how they made use of the kids' own words/ways of speaking. Also heard a rumble that he directed one or two of those bits.

There can be no other....

Wouldn't want to be a cyclist (or any other road user) in those days mind...

Watched it again some years ago and unlike many films that don't stand the test of time, this did for me.

I mentioned this one to a friend a couple of weeks back and he hadn't seen it. Patrick McGoohan, Stanley Baker and a young James Bond before he was James Bond.
Not seen it since god knows but remember it having many things in it not safety orientated. Made me want to drive a truck for a few days until another craze overtook me.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes I saw that as a kid - I well remember two or three of us nattering about it the day after (may have been shown on a summer hols afternoon) - we all really liked it which I suppose shows that we all had a good eye for good films even though a casual observer may have written it off as a run of the mill B movie. It does of course feature Herbert Lom as an Italian :smile: It's also mentioned upthread I think.

Shown recently on that great channel Talking Pictures TV - you are in France I think - if so, you may have problems getting it.

Yes - good guy - I saw Bugsy Malone when it came out and always thought that a brave film. I mean the entire idea sounds so shite. There's some excellent very naturalistic scenes in Melody - I think of the ones with the kids sitting around nattering about stuff - I think there's something in that BFI clip where Parker describes how they made use of the kids' own words/ways of speaking. Also heard a rumble that he directed one or two of those bits.
I enjoyed Bugsy Malone, I became interested in Alan Parkers work after seeing Midnight Express at the cinema, I found it a scary film. Midnight Express played at a cinema in Manchester for about a year. The stoners used to go and watch it as a late night showing, why they would want to induce paranoia in themselves I don't know.

Yes I saw that as a kid - I well remember two or three of us nattering about it the day after (may have been shown on a summer hols afternoon) - we all really liked it which I suppose shows that we all had a good eye for good films even though a casual observer may have written it off as a run of the mill B movie. It does of course feature Herbert Lom as an Italian :smile: It's also mentioned upthread I think.

Shown recently on that great channel Talking Pictures TV - you are in France I think - if so, you may have problems getting it.
I have freesat here, I'm just on the edge of the Astra 28E satellite footprint and am guilty of watching British TV when I should watch the French channels but French TV is mostly a lot worse than British TV, yes its possible!
I just took a look on imdb for hell drivers and see it is a Cy Enfield directed film and has a cast that is a who's who of British cinema and TV from the early 60's on even though the film is from 1957.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes

An interesting article on Talking Pictures.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...talgia-doesnt-come-much-more-joyous-than-this

Lots of interesting comments.

Particularly liked the one where the bod was bemused by the announcer continuously thanking him for "supporting british film history" or whatever when, as he saw it, he was just sitting on his arse lapping it up :smile:

Caution - if you do locate it you may feel a sudden inexplicable urge to buy a new mattress.

edit:

>>but French TV is mostly a lot worse than British TV, yes its possible!
Be thankful that you aren't in Italy.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
In from pedalling around london, found Melody on again on tptv
I think this film barely puts a foot wrong.
If you're quick you can catch the wanton car destruction and great ending.

Drago

Legendary Member
I also gotta go with Hell Drivers. Stanley Baker positively smoulders in it, and the whole film is mesmerising.

And Doctor Zhivago. Great film, and I recently read the book. Julie Christie was painfully beautiful back then.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another film I saw as a kid but really didn't appreciate until i was older was the great Ealing comedy" Kind Hearts and Coronets".
A superb black comedy with Alec Guinness playing I think eight different members of the D'Ascoigne family that Dennis Price has to kill to gain his rightful Dukedom and avenge the death of his mother who was ignored by them for marrying as they thought beneath her.
If you look carefully you might spot the late Arthur Lowe of Dads Army as a reporter in the final scene outside the prison.
Well worth seeking out.

View: https://youtu.be/fYTxIw6kjZ0

Smudge

Veteran
Hobson's Choice....... This was already an old film when i saw it as a kid sometime in the early 70's. I always remembered watching it but hadn't seen it for almost 50 years.
It was shown recently on a Freeview channel Talking Pictures..... It was even better than i remembered it, Charles Laughton was fantastic in the role he played.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I liked it as a
Another film I saw as a kid but really didn't appreciate until i was 7older was the great Ealing comedy" Kind Hearts and Coronets".
A superb black comedy with Alec Guinness playing I think eight different members of the D'Ascoigne family that Dennis Price has to kill to gain his rightful Dukedom and avenge the death of his mother who was ignored by them for marrying as they thought beneath her.
If you look carefully you might spot the late Arthur Lowe of Dads Army as a reporter in the final scene outside the prison.
Well worth seeking out.

View: https://youtu.be/fYTxIw6kjZ0

I liked it as a kid.
Maybe i was warped.
Yes it is very english/British.
Robert hamer came to a sad end.
A great loss.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does anyone remember Saturday morning pictures at the local Gaumont or Odeon?
I think it was mainly cartoons, I always felt sorry for the compere who used to come out from behind the curtain to introduce them to several hundred baying and jeering kids.

Top Bottom