Films you saw as a kid and redisovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Excellent film - from my home patch.
Skilfully skirts the risk of sentimentality.
And rather remarkably, despite some key southerners involved in its production, it really captures the environment.
(some might say lots of grey and damp :smile:
I often cycle past the place where the final scene was shot.

That scene with hundreds of children coming to see " Jesus " is a fantastic bit of work.
Rarely bettered.

Barbarella - 1h 38 mins of "who gives a damned about a story line" with some scenes shot on the same set as Ice Station Zebra (I suspect).

Disney's The Black Hole - I went to see it 5 times in a week- not for the dodgy acting or poor story line though, but for the soundtrack (which I once owned on cassette - purchased from a Woolworth's opposite the cinema).

Dark Star - Cowboys in Space and bombs with AI - what could go wrong ? An underrated film in the sci-fi genre (for a John Carpenter film) - time for a remake ?

Them (1954) - It's the army fighting giant ants FFS - What else do you want ???? 20/10
My mates grandad directed "Barbarella".

"Saturday Night Sunday Morning", I watched it last night and probably last saw it in 1970. Dated yes, but enjoyable. "Silent Running" I watched last Autumn, not seen that since I had all my own teeth and hair. The subject matter and story is certainly not dated.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
"Saturday Night Sunday Morning", I watched it last night and probably last saw it in 1970. Dated yes, but enjoyable. "Silent Running" I watched last Autumn, not seen that since I had all my own teeth and hair. The subject matter and story is certainly not dated.
Read a book by mark kermode over christmas. One of his favourite films. Reduces him to tears apparently.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not all of it but I would recommend it. I like him as a critic. Yes he considers the exorcist a masterpiece and in fact i think says it is the best film ever made. I remember the hoo ha about it as a kid but have never seen it. In line with the theme of this thread, he also writes about a very unknown film which really affected him as a kid, which he then, with much trepidation, programmed for a film fest he was involved him. Apparently he was also, slightly to his embarrassment, reduced to blubbering again, just like the first time he saw it.

Not all of it but I would recommend it. I like him as a critic. Yes he considers the exorcist a masterpiece and in fact i think says it is the best film ever made. I remember the hoo ha about it as a kid but have never seen it. In line with the theme of this thread, he also writes about a very unknown film which really affected him as a kid, which he then, with much trepidation, programmed for a film fest he was involved him. Apparently he was also, slightly to his embarrassment, reduced to blubbering again, just like the first time he saw it.
I was going to ask what the film was but you did the right thing in not saying. I think I will read his book, he can be very dry to listen to but I do like his passion for films.

Top Bottom