Films you saw as a kid and redisovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
My dad was a bit of a film buff having grown up in the golden age of films and British studios. When a film was on TV growing up we’d sit together and watched so many classics. A slight change on OP one I’d happy watch again not seen it in a long time. Is the beast with 5 fingers maybe a bit tame given today’s horror films but the cinematography still holds its own.
One I did catch up with the other week not seen for years was reach for the sky.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was lucky / unlucky enough (you decide) to be at secondary school in the mid-80s when teachers were intent on striking as much as possible and for a couple of terms we were put on an emergency timetable with the school closing at 1pm so the teachers could go to the pub / stick it to Thatch.

This coincided with one of the TV stations (BBC2?) showing old B&W British films at about 2pm, so I got to watch loads. Some great comedies (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimilico, The Man In The White Suit, School for Scoundrels, etc), some stirring war movies (The Cruel Sea, Battle on the River Plate, Went the Day Well?), the early Carry On films and many others of variable quality, but with belters like Hell Drivers to find.
I didn't always appreciate them fully at the time but they did give me a love for old cinema that I try and indulge when I get the chance now.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This one;

View attachment 441484

Gets better every time I see it.

Ice cold in Alex. Carlsberg did an advert using a clip from the end of the film where John Mills was drinking his long awaited beer out of a Carlsberg glass.

Im a black and white British war film buff. Its what winter Sunday afternoons were made for. I have quite a few on discs and there is a lot on Youtube

But to answer the original question. Kes with the wonderful Brian Glover as the PE teacher.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
There can be no other....

Wouldn't want to be a cyclist (or any other road user) in those days mind...

Watched it again some years ago and unlike many films that don't stand the test of time, this did for me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ice cold in Alex. Carlsberg did an advert using a clip from the end of the film where John Mills was drinking his long awaited beer out of a Carlsberg glass.

Im a black and white British war film buff. Its what winter Sunday afternoons were made for. I have quite a few on discs and there is a lot on Youtube

But to answer the original question. Kes with the wonderful Brian Glover as the PE teacher.

What marks it out for me besides the great acting and gripping story it was one of the few war films of this era that didn't make out the Germans to be complete barstewards.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There can be no other....

Wouldn't want to be a cyclist (or any other road user) in those days mind...

Watched it again some years ago and unlike many films that don't stand the test of time, this did for me.

I remember being take to see this at the local Gaumont age seven. Quite comical viewing it now, the trucks wouldn't go that fast so they speeded up the film!

DRM

Guru
My dad told me about that one watch it and loved it and years later I get mrs 73 to watch it. It’s her favourite film now. A great film never fails to be watchable.
I really enjoyed this one, but there's the famous blooper at the end when you can see a Series 1 Land Rover & what appears to be an early '50's American car in the background.
Also enjoyed Kes, it seemed like a documentary to me too.
I was lucky / unlucky enough (you decide) to be at secondary school in the mid-80s when teachers were intent on striking as much as possible and for a couple of terms we were put on an emergency timetable with the school closing at 1pm so the teachers could go to the pub / stick it to Thatch.

This coincided with one of the TV stations (BBC2?) showing old B&W British films at about 2pm, so I got to watch loads. Some great comedies (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimilico, The Man In The White Suit, School for Scoundrels, etc), some stirring war movies (The Cruel Sea, Battle on the River Plate, Went the Day Well?), the early Carry On films and many others of variable quality, but with belters like Hell Drivers to find.
I didn't always appreciate them fully at the time but they did give me a love for old cinema that I try and indulge when I get the chance now.
All those Ealing films were great too, also Will Hay, but his films are not suitable for t.v due to unacceptable language in them, Laurel & Hardy were also shown then& are still great today.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Whistle down the wind.

A real 60's British classic which I loved as a child.
Watched it again with our grandson and he liked it too.
Excellent film - from my home patch.
Skilfully skirts the risk of sentimentality.
And rather remarkably, despite some key southerners involved in its production, it really captures the environment.
(some might say lots of grey and damp :smile:
I often cycle past the place where the final scene was shot.

Top Bottom