Films you saw as a kid and redisovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
blues brothers.
it passed you by the first time?
wholesale car smashing? malignant nuns?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This one;

images.jpeg

Gets better every time I see it.

North West Frontier - a stirring tale of daring do with the plucky Brit up against overwhelming odds, although not particularly PC by modern standards. Still a good film though.

Kes - I thought this was a documentary when I first saw it and it has a core of gritty, downbeat realism that still resonates.

Not seen North West Frontier in decades, but I still tell people their computer may be ready 'in a very soon moment'.

The Trans Pennine Trail goes past a ruined house used in Kes near Hoyland Common.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Planet of the apes,especially the one with the statue of liberty at the end.Still creeps me out today.It reminds me of wagging school,nicking fags and going to the cinema...happy days.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Nope, saw it when it came out and watched it two days ago too.
sorry, being daft, ignoring the point of my own thread! Got it into my head somehow that you didn't much like it the first time.

I seem to remember that it got a fair few bad reviews on its initial release.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Barbarella - 1h 38 mins of "who gives a damned about a story line" with some scenes shot on the same set as Ice Station Zebra (I suspect).

Disney's The Black Hole - I went to see it 5 times in a week- not for the dodgy acting or poor story line though, but for the soundtrack (which I once owned on cassette - purchased from a Woolworth's opposite the cinema).

Dark Star - Cowboys in Space and bombs with AI - what could go wrong ? An underrated film in the sci-fi genre (for a John Carpenter film) - time for a remake ?

Them (1954) - It's the army fighting giant ants FFS - What else do you want ???? 20/10

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I think it was just general film reviewers.

I suppose smashing a lot of cars didn't seem terribly meaningful :smile:

Of course it became a cult afterwards - there used to be a very good Blues Brothers band touring around London. Saw them at the 100 club. They went down a storm.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Me

Melody - full film - do take a look. Londoners will marvel at the location shots of "old London".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQClqvvpcXA

Saw in a small Lancashire town.

Rediscovered thanks to the Peckham Free Film Festival.

A BFI thing on it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3iPwUAOzVo

For it seems it ended up becoming a cult in Japan and popular in South America,

hence this print's odd intro and subtitles.

Others.

That has been on Talking Pictures (C 81 on Freeview) a few times recently.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Barbarella - 1h 38 mins of "who gives a damned about a story line" with some scenes shot on the same set as Ice Station Zebra (I suspect).

Disney's The Black Hole - I went to see it 5 times in a week- not for the dodgy acting or poor story line though, but for the soundtrack (which I once owned on cassette - purchased from a Woolworth's opposite the cinema).

Dark Star - Cowboys in Space and bombs with AI - what could go wrong ? An underrated film in the sci-fi genre (for a John Carpenter film) - time for a remake ?

Them (1954) - It's the army fighting giant ants FFS - What else do you want ???? 20/10

Dark Star...my goodness, haven't seen this for a while. Brilliant low budget Sf with a cracking sense of humour. best bit is when one of them goes after the beach-ball alien and ends up stuck in the lift.

Anyone ever stay up late to watch the old SF/Horror double -bill on saturday nights, BBC2?. I did with headphones & my old BW set in my room. Happy days!!.

Top Bottom