Films you saw as a kid and redisovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Anyone ever stay up late to watch the old SF/Horror double -bill on saturday nights, BBC2?. I did with headphones & my old BW set in my room. Happy days!!.

Check out the Horror Channel on Saturday nights - they tend to re-run all the Hammer stuff. They did a John Carpenter season too (but no Dark Star)

I saw "House" on there the other month. Not seen this comedy horror classic since owning it on VHS back in the late 80's. Really enjoyed it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sticking to the OP rather than just 'old films I still like' my nomination is Mary Poppins.

I was captivated by the film on release, to the extent my mother had to calm a four-year-old Pale Rider for the benefit of other cinema goers.

Not wishing to spoil a fond memory, I didn't take up a couple of opportunities to watch the film as an adult until it popped up on Sky a year or so ago.

Still a very enjoyable watch, and an excellent effort by Disney to produce a film that appeals to literally all ages.

Looks like they've done it again, Mary Poppins Returns was only released in the US last month, and is already being touted as one of the best films of the year.

Strong cast, catchy songs, and from the look of a clip, they've kept the mixture of live actors and animation, which was groundbreaking at the time of the original film.

And there's even a cameo from Dick Van Dyke, although it seems Julie Andrews wanted to leave the way clear for the new lass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Poppins_Returns

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Local Hero is a great film, I didnt like it the first time I saw it but watched it again recently and really enjoyed it.
been a favourite ever since i saw it at the cinema.

yes it is good - though not a lot of competition in that category.

bit harsh... Restless Natives, Gregory's Girl, Local Hero and the one i can't quite recall are amongst the best British films of the 80s :okay:

Anyhow.

Psychomania . First saw it when i was about 10, staying with relatives when we could stay up late to watch Hammer Horrors and the like. I could remember bits of scenes, but not the title, and rediscovered it aged fifteen. I was young enough to be frightened the first time, this time it was a badly executed budget horror flick, but not without its charms; a hippy burial complete with a twee musical interlude, followed by an undead biker and motorbike bursting out of the grave.. I spent the next five years trying to find a VHS copy of it and when i finally rediscovered it for the third time, it was a cheap british horror flick like no other, with an awesome psychedelic soundtrack to match. It has since reached cult status (AKA, most people think its sh!t). I spent fifteen years trying to find the soundtrack, and so did Johnny Trunk, who released it in 2005ish. It stars George Sanders, Beryl Reed, Nicky Henson and that bloke from All Creatures Great and Small. It finally got a DVD release with a few extras a few years ago... the cast and crew still can't work out why anybody likes it. I still love it.

Fun fact... George Sanders was reportedly so unimpressed with Psychomania that he topped himself not long after seeing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Barbarella - 1h 38 mins of "who gives a damned about a story line" with some scenes shot on the same set as Ice Station Zebra (I suspect).

Disney's The Black Hole - I went to see it 5 times in a week- not for the dodgy acting or poor story line though, but for the soundtrack (which I once owned on cassette - purchased from a Woolworth's opposite the cinema).

Dark Star - Cowboys in Space and bombs with AI - what could go wrong ? An underrated film in the sci-fi genre (for a John Carpenter film) - time for a remake ?

Them (1954) - It's the army fighting giant ants FFS - What else do you want ???? 20/10
You saw barbarelle as a kid?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Dark Star...my goodness, haven't seen this for a while. Brilliant low budget Sf with a cracking sense of humour. best bit is when one of them goes after the beach-ball alien and ends up stuck in the lift.

Anyone ever stay up late to watch the old SF/Horror double -bill on saturday nights, BBC2?. I did with headphones & my old BW set in my room. Happy days!!.

I very nearly wet myself watching the stuck in lift fighting the alien scene - brilliant !

Re watching it is still good albeit I was more aware of the low budget clunkiness. Darker than I remembered too

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I was just thinking the same about In Bruges.
Yes, my thread start was really about films seen as a youngster, then rediscovered. Possibly with a different perslective/appreciation.

Melody I rate better now than whenI first saw it.

In several ways.

There's also some social comment in there that largely passed me by as a kid. To such an extent that I considered quoting it in the brexit thread in the other problematical place.

Now clear that this was because it was written by Alan Parker.

;

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
The Great Train Robbery.
I saw that as a teenager. A short while ago I watched it again. I remembered almost nothing from my first viewing .

Most likely because I went with Janice Philpot. :wub::wub:

Top Bottom