Films you've walked out of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Chuffy said:
No, gut instinct, peer reviews, past form etc etc.

Exactly.

Oh, and I wish I had walked out of The Return of the King - my Dad wanted to see it though. My bum has never felt so numb.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Flying_Monkey said:
Exactly.

Oh, and I wish I had walked out of The Return of the King - my Dad wanted to see it though. My bum has never felt so numb.

You obviously do not have an ounce of wild romantic imagination in you. You're rumbled!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I thought Return of the King was the best of the 3 films. Apart from the Scouring of the Shire Peter Jackson managed to edit out or turn various boring chapters into a pretty good film.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rather the opposite, Andy - I used to love the book, and indeed make my own worlds when I was a kid. Still do...

Peter Jackson's direction however, is like having instructions on how to feel shouted at you through a megaphone constantly for hours. The man has no poetry or subtlety in his soul.

And not having the scouring of the Shire is inexcusable - it is the heart and the point of the whole book.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There was a point to the book :angry:

I think having the scouring of the shire would have added more warmth and humour to the last film. Very glad various Elve bits got chopped though.

simoncc

The only film I've ever walked out of was Notting Hill, although I was awoken by a stranger at the end of Titanic because my companion for the evening had left me where I was when the film ended.

Canrider

Guru
Strange Days, at the point where a woman is raped and murdered whilst being forced to view her own rape and murder via a VR helmet.

(and crinnnnge)

simoncc said:
The only film I've ever walked out of was Notting Hill, although I was awoken by a stranger at the end of Titanic because my companion for the evening had left me where I was when the film ended.

priceless. The perfect date. Mind you, his chat-up line involved a diatribe against the license fee, so it was only a matter of time.

simoncc

simon l& and a half said:
priceless. The perfect date. Mind you, his chat-up line involved a diatribe against the license fee, so it was only a matter of time.

I'm still with the person who I left watching Notting Hill on her own and who left me asleep after Titanic. Priceless.

Flying_Monkey said:
Rather the opposite, Andy - I used to love the book, and indeed make my own worlds when I was a kid. Still do...

Peter Jackson's direction however, is like having instructions on how to feel shouted at you through a megaphone constantly for hours. The man has no poetry or subtlety in his soul.

And not having the scouring of the Shire is inexcusable - it is the heart and the point of the whole book.
The Scouring of the Shire would have added another hour to the film. It's one of my favourite parts of the book but in the context of the film I can live without it. Peter Jackson and the two writers did a fantastic job. They brought out depth and subtlety in the characters that simply isn't there in the books. Say what you liked about dear old JRR but he wasn't much cop at writing real people. In the books Aragorn is a cipher, a noble cliche. In the films he is still noble but so much more believable.

jonesy

Guru
Chuffy said:
The Scouring of the Shire would have added another hour to the film. It's one of my favourite parts of the book but in the context of the film I can live without it. Peter Jackson and the two writers did a fantastic job. They brought out depth and subtlety in the characters that simply isn't there in the books. Say what you liked about dear old JRR but he wasn't much cop at writing real people. In the books Aragorn is a cipher, a noble cliche. In the films he is still noble but so much more believable.

I largely agree. LOTR is my favorite book, read repeatedly since I was a child, and inevitably there were some things I didn't feel were right about the films; but overall I greatly enjoyed them. In the end you have to recognise that some things have to be changed to make something that works as a film. No doubt some things were done to maximise the audience, but I'm not sure how else the vast production costs could have been justified. That said, I felt that the Return of the King was true to the book where it most mattered, and the sequence from Cirith Ungol to the crowning of the King was spot on. On the whole I was happy with most of the characters, except for Denethor, who was unfairly portrayed as incompetent; Gimli, who was turned into a bit of a clown figure; and Elrond, who I felt was made too callous and calculating. Oh, and the King of the Dead was too much like something from a splat gore horror movie; in the book the Dead only appear as very ghostly shadows, who don't actually kill with weapons, driving away the enemies through fear.

I wasn't so happy with the Two Towers- the action-man Aragorn scenes invented for the film didn't really work; and they introduced the totally unnecessary scene in which Faramir brings Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. The battle of Helms Deep was good though, and I can understand why Peter Jackson made a bit more of the 'blasting fire' than was made in the book! I'll stop now, before people think I'm a LOTR bore... :angry:

redcogs

Guru
mjones said:
I largely agree. LOTR is my favorite book, read repeatedly since I was a child, and inevitably there were some things I didn't feel were right about the films; but overall I greatly enjoyed them. In the end you have to recognise that some things have to be changed to make something that works as a film. No doubt some things were done to maximise the audience, but I'm not sure how else the vast production costs could have been justified. That said, I felt that the Return of the King was true to the book where it most mattered, and the sequence from Cirith Ungol to the crowning of the King was spot on. On the whole I was happy with most of the characters, except for Denethor, who was unfairly portrayed as incompetent; Gimli, who was turned into a bit of a clown figure; and Elrond, who I felt was made too callous and calculating. Oh, and the King of the Dead was too much like something from a splat gore horror movie; in the book the Dead only appear as very ghostly shadows, who don't actually kill with weapons, driving away the enemies through fear.

I wasn't so happy with the Two Towers- the action-man Aragorn scenes invented for the film didn't really work; and they introduced the totally unnecessary scene in which Faramir brings Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. The battle of Helms Deep was good though, and I can understand why Peter Jackson made a bit more of the 'blasting fire' than was made in the book! I'll stop now, before people think I'm a LOTR bore... :thumbsup:

Your not a LOTR bore Jonesy.

:angry:

Top Bottom