Filtering sludge out of paraffin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Hi all,

I know there are a few on here that use paraffin to clean their chains. I'm experimenting with it at the moment, but I obviously don't want to be wasting paraffin and having to deal with more disposal than I need!

Are there any cost effective ways at filtering out the sediment so I can reuse some used paraffin? I've tried with an old T-shirt and it wasn't too bad, but there is surely something better out there? Cheap coffee filters maybe?

Cheers,
Dave.

tyred

Legendary Member
Coffee filters or similar should work. Or is you check your local hardware shop, you should be able to find a funnel with a fine gauze built into it.

If you leave your paraffin to settle in a bucket or whatever, the dirt will settle at the bottom and you should be able to pour most of the clean stuff of if you are careful.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Thanks tyred, I have been leaving it to settle and the majority does seem to descend but there is still some smaller bits floating B)
Just looked on ebay and coffee filters are about £3 for a 100 delivered.
Cheers B)

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Sand, pretty innovative, only problem is that sand is going to be difficult to dispose of if it is contaminated with oil and paraffin.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

mickle said:
Why? Cos you can't pour it down the sink when it's got sand in it? :smile:

The recyclers will recycle it.

Sand's heavier, takes up more space. I think coffee filters would be easy to store and dispose of when necessary. Could even burn 'em in my chiminea ;)

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Quick update, coffee filters are perfect, they take all the sediment out nicely. Though the remaining paraffin is obviously still darker than the fresh stuff.

02GF74

Über Member
paraffin - used in greenhouse heaters so any garening place would have it.

coffee filters is too expensive - you probably pay more for those than for the parafiin saved!! I use paper towels from work or toilet paper as the filter medium.

Top Bottom