Final Stage 20 *SPOILER*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Were Sky giving Cav helping hand or was he just tagging on behind EBH?

The latter. I think one of Sky's many illusions was that EBH could sprint with the best.The test for them is to see how much they learn from this, their first GT otherwise the attention to detail mantra is going to wear a bit thin.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The latter. I think one of Sky's many illusions was that EBH could sprint with the best.

I think they were just giving it a go and driving it from further out precisely because they know that EBH is not a pure sprinter.

I wonder if I'm the only person disappointed that Hushovd didn't take green? I rather liked the way he was reshaping the points competition into a "Rouleurs Jersey" with the contesting of intermediates &c.

Not at all. I agree totally. The Green is for the points competition, not 'the sprinters jersey', as I'm sure it's been said before.

Cav is the best spriner in the world right now bar none but he still has some maturing before claiming green...or winning every flat stage!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Not at all. I agree totally. The Green is for the points competition, not 'the sprinters jersey', as I'm sure it's been said before.

Cav is the best spriner in the world right now bar none but he still has some maturing before claiming green...or winning every flat stage!!

He almost certainly would have won it had he not sat up in that early sprint.

zacklaws

Guru
And no doubt, after Cavendish's achievements at the tour, once again he will not be recognised and be unlucky at the "Sports Personality Of The Year" and the award will go to some footballer who underperformed at the World cup, but was seen running on the pitch, kicked the ball a couple of times and may also have scored a goal, just so that he can finish the year with something in his empty trophy cabinet, in that very dusty spot reserved for his World cup winners medal, and once again make the public believe that we are a great football nation and can win everything at that sport.

In all honesty I have not followed much sport apart from cycling this year, and cannot think of anyone who has really achieved much in sport this year so far. Perhaps a "tenner" at the bookies now on Cavendish to win SPOTY, could be a little earner.

I've been working nights in a crap job, one night to do, and I'm very tired so i'm entitled to be sarcastic and cynical to try and raise my dampening spirit..

He's 50/1 at Ladbrokes at the moment, behind the likes of Lewis and Button who have not done anything this year or have they?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And no doubt, after Cavendish's achievements at the tour, once again he will not be recognised and be unlucky at the "Sports Personality Of The Year"

I can't see that he should this year, actually. He hasn't had such an impressive year in general, and he didn't get the Green*. He's still Britain's best male cyclist by far, but if you really want 'fairness', you should be pushing for Emma Pooley, who is at the moment, Britain's best cyclist IMHO. But of course she's a female cyclist and they don't count at all, do they?

*Of course, if Cav wins the Worlds, he will have a case...

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I doubt they will give it to any of the footballers, but they may well give it to someone who plays really good ping pong or something at the commonwealth games...

sad.gif

biking_fox

Guru
behind the likes of Lewis and Button who have not done anything this year or have they?

They are currently 1st adn 2nd in the F1 world championship - which is only about halfway done. But I think that probably is more of an achievement than Cav finishing the Tour.

Still a few more months to go though, see who else actually achieves something.

They are currently 1st adn 2nd in the F1 world championship - which is only about halfway done. But I think that probably is more of an achievement than Cav finishing the Tour.

anyone,including Cav, finishing Le Tour is more of an achievement anyone can do in one season of F1, but then I'm biased towards guys on 2 wheels rather than 4.

The whole SPOTY thing is nothing more than a glorified pub discussion IMO.

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
You have to be realistic and accept that as a sport, pro-cycling is not that popular in the UK

I don't have a source for figures, but I would bet money that the F1 had more people watching than the Paris finale last Sunday...

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
You are no doubt right, zimzum, but cycling has gone up significantly in profile here in the last year or two. Hopefully this will be sustained until 2012 and beyond, but I fear Britain may fall flat at the Olympics. Good what a bit of lottery funding can do, though......

Top Bottom