Final Stage 20 *SPOILER*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Team Radioshack came out wearing Livestrong jerseys, but were soon told to change them for the team kit. They had to stop on the side of the road to change them, meaning the rest of the field waited for them. It was an amazing piece of PR which I can only admire, very well thought out.
No, it was a screw-up, not a cunning coup. They would have got better coverage if they had kept the jerseys on for the stage and onto the podium for the team prize. As it was, by not clearing the kit change first, they ended up looking undignified, disorganised and humiliated.

mangaman

No, it was a screw-up, not a cunning coup. They would have got better coverage if they had kept the jerseys on for the stage and onto the podium for the team prize. As it was, by not clearing the kit change first, they ended up looking undignified, disorganised and humiliated.

As they did the whole tour Chuffy :thumbsup:

Let's hope they disappear gracefully.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

... and got exposure on all the news broadcasts tonight. Not sure the same would have happened if they'd worn the charity kit all stage.

Cav has proven over the last few stages just how good he is. The lead out has been spoilt on both occasions and he's had to ride the sprint solo but the acceleration he has is unbelievable.

Team sky have got better in the last few days but they need to get a better sprinter as the lead out has not been matched by the finishing.

mangaman

... and got exposure on all the news broadcasts tonight. Not sure the same would have happened if they'd worn the charity kit all stage.

Cav has proven over the last few stages just how good he is. The lead out has been spoilt on both occasions and he's had to ride the sprint solo but the acceleration he has is unbelievable.

Team sky have got better in the last few days but they need to get a better sprinter as the lead out has not been matched by the finishing.

Anyone think Sky can buy out Cav?

Wiggins has shown he's not a GC guy - Sky could, I'm sure, get the Green for Cav. Let Bradley concentrate on the oher GTs maybe.

Bring on Lundkvist

And buy Renshaw out as well. :tongue:

...looking grumpy and stupid. That's not how you do PR, trust me. Pics of the team in their Livestrong kit, during the stage and on the podium for the team presentation would have been used through the year in campaigns and publicity material. A five second slot on the news of the team flashing their cyclists tan lines would never have been the aim.

Edit: Apparently they put them back on for the team prize presentation, which would at least salvage something for the campaign portfolio.

Not sure about Boasson-Hagen, is he a full-on sprinter or a stage racer with a good sprint?

Anyone think Sky can buy out Cav?
They've got the money. Not sure that HTC would ever let him go. Without him, what have they got? Anyway, he seems genuinely committed to the team, I'd be surprised if he chose to move.

Wiggins has shown he's not a GC guy - Sky could, I'm sure, get the Green for Cav. Let Bradley concentrate on the oher GTs maybe.
That might be a bit harsh on Wiggy. If the wind is in the right direction, metaphorically speaking, he could be up there again. It looked as if something wasn't quite right from the Prologue. Cav could have had Green this year, if he hadn't sat up on that stage. He doesn't need to go anywhere.

mangaman

They've got the money. Not sure that HTC would ever let him go. Without him, what have they got? Anyway, he seems genuinely committed to the team, I'd be surprised if he chose to move.

That might be a bit harsh on Wiggy. If the wind is in the right direction, metaphorically speaking, he could be up there again. It looked as if something wasn't quite right from the Prologue. Cav could have had Green this year, if he hadn't sat up on that stage. He doesn't need to go anywhere.

I'm not convinced about Brad. The 2009 was a pretty flat course that played into his hands.

He's won 3 Olympic Golds and is 31 years old.

I can't ever seeing him beating Contador or Schleck in the TDF. They'll only improve

Maybe next year change his goals - eg Vuelta and at the same time ride into form for the worlds TTs?

It seems more realistic to me.

Cav is 22 and the world of cycling is at his feet.

No-one would have believed he would have the stamiina to win Milan-San Remo, but he did aged 21. The guy's a phenomenon. He is already one of the best sprinters of all time and I suspect he'll get bored with that after a few more years and develop new skills.

I can't see him ever as as a GC contendor, but he could develop into a cobbled classics man. (I hope so - my racing highlights of the year are the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix). A British winner would be superb. :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Cavtastic :bravo:!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
He is totally back to his best. I think he could develop into either a contender for Green or someone who can win classics on a more regular basis. For now though, I am sure he's happy being the fastest sprinter in the world...

As for Wiggins, I think 2009 will be his best result in the TdF. I think he can win some of the minor tours, and perhaps a classic or two but he's never going to get a podium place on a Grand Tour. Not now.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree with that FM, Wiggins needs to refocus on races and disciplines that are more suited to his not inconsiderable abilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So smooth from Cav.

I think Wiggins has shown enough awareness and disarming self-criticism that he'll reassess his future strategy himself.

rustychisel

forget about Wiggo, time to find another horse.

As for Cavendish, he's a great sprinter. It's not true the loss of Renshaw made no difference, it meant Cav had to adapt his tactics to suit circumstances and he's done it superbly. The last 2 stage wins he essentially used Pettachi as his lead-out man then blew past with his better acceleration.

Brillo

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

I don't think anyone came out of that with any credit. The organisers looked petty, the Shack looked like skinny oddly tanned oafs rather than highly trained athletes. Lance will add it to his store of "The French hate me" stories, as will his less critical fans.

Need we also point out that the entire team has been riding with livestrong bands on the kit, and Lance himself has been riding a bike with a message from a different person affected by cancer every day? That the chalkbot has been daubing messages on the roads of France (as well as Nike's corporate logo and the Livestrong logo) all tour?

The kit stunt was unnecesary and unworthy of them - it's telling that the last team I remember getting in trouble for this was Rock bloody Racing, ffs.

Top Bottom