Find a ship. Any ship.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I like that more.

I have just been watching aeroplanes landing at Manchester and Heathrow. Switch to satellite view and you can see them taxiing to and from the runway. They move faster across the map too!
That's amazing!

TVC

The shipping site is pretty good. Last week Mrs VCs parents were on the Queen Elizabeth doing the Norwegian Fjords (their first ever overseas holiday after 49 years of marriage). We has fun tracking their progress while they were away.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
MDB is posting from a Cypriot military prison...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Tell us how you know.

Because I have the mobile ap for my iPad and it tells you so.

Only planes with a certain type of receiver are shown on the site, and also it says that the planes on your screen are actually just a representation of where they should be on their flightplan, NOT true radar signals*. What it does say is that if you want to identify everything you see then you really need a radio.

The site does not show a lot of older aircraft like '707s, 747-100s, etc, smaller planes and light aircraft (practically anything with a propellor in other words), most Eastern Bloc aircraft like Ilyushins and Tupolevs, and most military traffic.

I have seen this for myself as we get a lot of Flybe Saabs and so on flying over, and they are not on the site.
Bad luck if you are wanting to see where the RAF VC-10s are too.

* - I presume they must get picked up at certain beacons, but if you use the site for long enough then you will see planes appearing in the 'wrong' part of the sky from where the site says they are, and also, you sometimes get 'Phantom Planes', which in reality must be delayed flights or similar.

Think I was actually posting from one of the Companys ship when we had a thread on the AIS site before.
Only one I can find I've actually been that is giving out any info at the moment is this one.

AIS only uses VHF radio so is limited to coastal areas, as you can see from the world map. There are lots more ships out there that won't be on the site, though some Companies also have satellite tracking of their own vessels and even offer a service to let you track where your particular container is within their transport system.

Think I was actually posting from one of the Companys ship when we had a thread on the AIS site before.
Only one I can find I've actually been that is giving out any info at the moment is this one.

AIS only uses VHF radio so is limited to coastal areas, as you can see from the world map. There are lots more ships out there that won't be on the site, though some Companies also have satellite tracking of their own vessels and even offer a service to let you track where your particular container is within their transport system.

You may find LRIT interesting

http://www.lrit.com/index.html?gclid=CJfFj8fN_LECFYcKfAodDScA_Q

Top Bottom