Find a ship. Any ship.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Why have i spent the last half an hour looking for ships in random areas, thankx!

That's great.

My house looks out over the Bristol Channel and I'm forever wondering what the ships are that I see ploughing up and down (or in some cases over past year or so, anchored mid channel, for weeks at a time), where they are going etc.

Cheers.

Brains

Legendary Member
AIS only uses VHF radio so is limited to coastal areas, as you can see from the world map. There are lots more ships out there that won't be on the site, though some Companies also have satellite tracking of their own vessels and even offer a service to let you track where your particular container is within their transport system.
.... Not any more. We have software that picks up the VHS signal on a low orbit satellite, so any ship any where can be found anywhere (as long as the ais box is switched on)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 1999301, member: 45"]This is a fantastic site. It shows you where thousands of ships currently are around the world, links to photos and info, destination etc.[/quote]

Shirley you meant to say that it's a fantastic resource for pirates and terrorists and should closed down immediately? :thumbsup:

Thomk

Guru
I don't have too much idea what his thread is about as I am too wined to read it. But - just in case it is indeed about "find a ship", then here's one (a boat anyway):
http://www.matrixofcreation.co.uk/m...s-at-last-a-successful-method-is-demonstrated
These guys built a replica of a boat from approx 4000 years ago and demonstrated that a boat of similar design could have transported a bluestone weighing several tonnes, solving an age old question about Stonehenge. I don't know if it is interesting to others but i think it's great!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 2003466, member: 45"]How dare you!

Let me know when you're here overnight and we'll see if we can drag User482 over.....[/quote]
Will do ... it's the nature of my job that these things change very quickly so I'd need to be certain that I'm staying and it may be short notice. But I'd love to hook up.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
[QUOTE 1999301, member: 45"]This is a fantastic site. It shows you where thousands of ships currently are around the world, links to photos and info, destination etc.[/quote]

Why
I have never in my life woke up and wondered what shipping was passing close to us here in the pennines

Top Bottom