Finding and replacing headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 41544

Good evening, I'm trying to find a new headset to replace on my giant ocr, from what I can gather and assuming I've got this right it looks to be a sealed cartridge that is semi integrated, it is a threaded fork with a 1 inch steerer. Does anyone know waht other info I would need or better still know which headset I require?
this is the said bike

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can get the cartridge bearings out, there are often numbers printed on them that can give you a clue.

The other option is google but you'll need to know the year of the bike.

I've googled a few and some do indeed look like standard 1" headsets. Is your's on an adapter as that's an aheadset stem ?

Can you get some closer pictures of the headset.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Yeah its got an adapter to change to the aheadset stem which makes me think the bike could be from around 2000??
I took the bottom bearing out earlier today and it was well past needing replacing really worn and rusty, but I didn't see any numbers, the top bearing actually looks ok, so might be able to get more from that, will have another look tomorrow, and get some closer photos.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like it's a 2000 and indeed a semi integrated one. Now, it still looks as though the bearings are bigger than 1", as there is a big top cap/upper race below the stem.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Your probably right, i always assumed the steerer was 1 inch because the adapter has a shim to be able fit a 1 1/8" stem

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

so on closer inspection and measuring (with a ruler) it is a 1 inch steerer, it is semi integrated. The headtube internal is 41mm and external 45mm. should this be enough to order the headset? or source the bearings at the very least

The Cane Creek headset identifier may help...

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Graham

Top Bottom