Finding Good Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El_Catrine

Regular
How does everyone go about finding good routes. So far I've been using RidewithGPS and just going with that. Any good sites where scenic routes etc are posted?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As a rule I just ride all over the place until I've suffered the cack roads enough for their avoidance to have been drummed into me..

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Interesting that you ask about the highlighting of scenic routes. That immediately makes me think of the Michelin map series. The French ones are the most well known, but there was an excellent sets of five inexpensive maps covering the UK and Ireland, published during the 1980s and 1990s which can easily be found secondhand. For example:

Michelin sheet 404

Earlier copies were yellow rather than orange. Provided secondhand bookshops are open I'd be surprised if you couldn't put together the set in decent condition for under an tenner. It looks as though you'd pay a bit more on eBay.

Other maps and sites are needed for greater detail, but what the old MIchelin maps do brilliantly is to give an overall picture of an area or region, helping to visualise how a ride or tour can be put together. One of the features was the highlighting of scenic roads in an eyecatching green. A subjective editorial judgment of course.

More modern versions are available, but I have a fondness for the 1980s style.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What makes a "good route" is very much a personal thing.
Agreed. One needs to think carefully what is important to you. Scenic (in both senses of the word ;)) sections invariably mean some climbing. How much is acceptable? Are A roads an anathema or an attraction for getting from place to place? What about cycle paths?
I'm not a fan of roads so narrow that a bike and a car can't straightforwardly pass one another, either same or opposite directions but particularly latter. The OS fifty thou' series helpfully map minor roads in two (yellow) widths and I look to maximise the use of the wider ("generally more than" 14+ feet / 4+m wide) and minimise the latter, particularly if bendy downhills are involved.
So RwGPS to plot, with 'Driving' as the default, and streetmap.co.uk to refer to as that can scroll from 1:1,000,000 down to 1:25,000 and below. I've also found Bikehike.co.uk useful, but just for 1:50,000 (avoid use later in the evening (there is a daily limit of some kind to OS download)) - gives a larger 50,000 area and moving around is easier.
Edit: Need to say that I've been a massive fan of OS maps since school, starting with the One Inch (1:63360) series bitd, so I'm very biassed towards their use (and very familiar with their symbology).
The AA road atlases @ 3 or 4 miles to the inch are for driving, but they do offer a view on roads they consider scenic (for motor vehicle drivers) by 'highlighting' the road in green 'edging'. Beware of such roads as they can attract drivers (especially at weekends) who are enjoying the views and may not be paying as much attention to the road even if driving at below average speeds.
Finally I understand that there are Strava heat maps which show where other cyclists have ridden (most) so if you're one for following the crowd, that may offer inspiration (and assurance :/ ).
HTH

Last edited:
I use OS maps all the time. I'm fortunate to have digital versions of 1:10,000, 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps on my PC.
There are idiosyncrasies in the maps, but once you learn those then you can plot any route anywhere.
There are lots of alternatives but they are either based on OS or are not as good.

OP
OP
El_Catrine

El_Catrine

Regular
Thank you all for some great tips. I am old school so the OS and Michelin routes really appeal. Thanks all.

so far I’ve been riding from my door. To get to further afield rides I could just put the bike in my car and head off.

OP
OP
El_Catrine

El_Catrine

Regular
Interesting that you ask about the highlighting of scenic routes. That immediately makes me think of the Michelin map series. The French ones are the most well known, but there was an excellent sets of five inexpensive maps covering the UK and Ireland, published during the 1980s and 1990s which can easily be found secondhand. For example:

Michelin sheet 404

View attachment 532481

Earlier copies were yellow rather than orange. Provided secondhand bookshops are open I'd be surprised if you couldn't put together the set in decent condition for under an tenner. It looks as though you'd pay a bit more on eBay.

Other maps and sites are needed for greater detail, but what the old MIchelin maps do brilliantly is to give an overall picture of an area or region, helping to visualise how a ride or tour can be put together. One of the features was the highlighting of scenic roads in an eyecatching green. A subjective editorial judgment of course.

More modern versions are available, but I have a fondness for the 1980s style.
This sounds like my kind of challenge. To eBay we go!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The problem I find with the non OS maps is that if you're not careful (eg selecting the right navigation mode when plotting) you can find yourself on some pretty bad tracks. These may be "good, scenic" routes to some cyclists (with Mountain Bikes and the skills to go with them!) but not for me.
Something I've noticed with RwGPS is that if I accidentally route myself on a bit of non-road there's likely to be no elevation data for that section, so I see a sudden drop in the total elevation figure for no good reason. More than once that's given me a clue that there might be something I ought to check.

Ajax Bay

Guru
if I accidentally route myself on a bit of non-road
I find the most powerful avoidance tool for 'non-asphalt' is to use the little yellow man (GSV). Don't need to plonk him down but the blue lines revealed offer assurance.
Don't get me wrong: I'll always be on the look out for a bridleway or BOAT that might 'go'.
This BOAT gave me my (slightly) 'rough stuff' fix on Day 1 of LEL (rather than the ugly (shaped) road excursion through Haslingfield) at about 60k in, on the way to St Ives, and kept the overall distance closer to 1400km.

Top Bottom