Finding it difficult to get my heart rate up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
Age in years
Sex:
Male

Maximum heart rate (MHR)
Zone
Range BPM
Purpose
Recovery
Short rides (non-training) for recovery 100
Zone 1
100 - 109 60-65%
Development of economy and efficiency with very high volume, low stress work. Very long sessions improve the combustion and storage of fats. Combine with Zone 2 for practical unstructured low stress rides.
Zone 2 109 - 126 65-75%
Development of economy and efficiency with high volume, moderate stress work. An important intensity for establishing a firm base for all riders. Combine with Zone 1 for practical unstructured low stress rides
Zone 3
1126 - 137 75-82%
Development of aerobic capacity and endurance with moderate volume work at a controlled intensity. Should be done alone or in a small group to stay in zone. Possible (but boring) on a turbo trainer for up to one hour in bad weather. 'Modules' can be incorporated into Zone 1 or 2 rides to increase intensity whilst maintaining volume.
Zone 4
137 -149 82-89%
Typical 'mean' intensity of most road races. Useful for tapering and as preparation, to simulate race pace, rather than as training. Sessions should be ended when the effort starts to tell.
Zone 5
147 - 159 89-94%
Raising of anaerobic threshold, improvement of lactate clearance and adaptation to race speed. Should be done alone and:-
(1) as a specific road or 'turbo' session or
(2) for controlled periods within a shortened Zone 1 or 2 session or
(3) in a 10 or 25 mile time trial.
Zone 6
159 - 168 94-100%
High intensity interval training to increase maximum power and improve lactate production or clearance. Probably best done on hills or a 'turbo' trainer.
NOTE 1. Should be done only when completely recovered from previous work.
NOTE 2. Heart rates are not the best guide for this type of training. Intensity should be such that the effort can just be held to the end of the interval. Ride on feel and use heart rate for feedback.
this was my read out - didn't feel low stress to me !
of course you have to factor in how accurate - or inaccurate - your heart rate monitor is.
I don't have amasive ammount of faith in mine, I only use it for getting a level to work to, I can only hope its horrible out. - or I'm depressingly rubbish (which I fear may be a truer reading)

Upstream

Age in years
Sex:
Male

Maximum heart rate (MHR)
Zone
Range BPM
Purpose
Recovery
Short rides (non-training) for recovery 100
Zone 1
100 - 109 60-65%
Development of economy and efficiency with very high volume, low stress work. Very long sessions improve the combustion and storage of fats. Combine with Zone 2 for practical unstructured low stress rides.
Zone 2 109 - 126 65-75%
Development of economy and efficiency with high volume, moderate stress work. An important intensity for establishing a firm base for all riders. Combine with Zone 1 for practical unstructured low stress rides
Zone 3
1126 - 137 75-82%
Development of aerobic capacity and endurance with moderate volume work at a controlled intensity. Should be done alone or in a small group to stay in zone. Possible (but boring) on a turbo trainer for up to one hour in bad weather. 'Modules' can be incorporated into Zone 1 or 2 rides to increase intensity whilst maintaining volume.
Zone 4
137 -149 82-89%
Typical 'mean' intensity of most road races. Useful for tapering and as preparation, to simulate race pace, rather than as training. Sessions should be ended when the effort starts to tell.
Zone 5
147 - 159 89-94%
Raising of anaerobic threshold, improvement of lactate clearance and adaptation to race speed. Should be done alone and:-
(1) as a specific road or 'turbo' session or
(2) for controlled periods within a shortened Zone 1 or 2 session or
(3) in a 10 or 25 mile time trial.
Zone 6
159 - 168 94-100%
High intensity interval training to increase maximum power and improve lactate production or clearance. Probably best done on hills or a 'turbo' trainer.
NOTE 1. Should be done only when completely recovered from previous work.
NOTE 2. Heart rates are not the best guide for this type of training. Intensity should be such that the effort can just be held to the end of the interval. Ride on feel and use heart rate for feedback.
this was my read out - didn't feel low stress to me !
of course you have to factor in how accurate - or inaccurate - your heart rate monitor is.
I don't have amasive ammount of faith in mine, I only use it for getting a level to work to, I can only hope its horrible out. - or I'm depressingly rubbish (which I fear may be a truer reading)

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you - The HR monitor on my Spin Bike (the type you hold onto with your hands) is way off - It rarely shows a reading above about 115 maximum. Whilst using my HR monitor that uses a chest strap, I can get to above what the 100% for my age and gender is (not for long though). If you're using a battery powered device I'd first try changing the batteries. I'd also try connecting it up and let it read while your just resting for a minute. At the same time, take the reading manually from your wrist or either side of your neck to see if it is way off while measuring your resting rate.

Licramite

Über Member
A good point, checked my turbo rest heart rate (64) with my timed rest rate (70) so its out by about 10th
(.09) that puts me in zone 3 which I feel is probably right.
a real difference since I put the aerobars on the turbo.
when I had a polar chest monitor I regulary hit its maximum heart rate warning. so much so that I gave up using it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A good point, checked my turbo rest heart rate (64) with my timed rest rate (70) so its out by about 10th
(.09) that puts me in zone 3 which I feel is probably right.
a real difference since I put the aerobars on the turbo.
when I had a polar chest monitor I regulary hit its maximum heart rate warning. so much so that I gave up using it.

???

Licramite

Über Member
They completely changed my riding position, my hips are forward of the pedals and I can really spin full throttle in that position - trouble is it make's every work out a real workout. its hard not to go like the clappers !

Top Bottom