Fine tuning indexing adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marin Maniac

I know this has been asked a bazillion times before but I'm going to ask anyway.

When indexing the gears on my bike (Tiagra shifters / dura ace chain / Ultegra 9 speed cassette), I can seem to get the indexing sorted on the lower half of the cassette (highest gears) but the top half of the cassette (lower gears) always ends up noisey.

If I reduce cable tension this noise goes but the indexing goes out of sync on the lower half of the cassette.

I've recently lubed the outers, had new cables, watched all the usual YouTube how too's and looked at the Park Tool guide but I can't seem to get it perfect.

Any thought's?

gbb

Legendary Member
This sounds really stupid...but try what i did...
I've set up rear derailleurs a few times, enough to know the sequence, but on my last Bianchi, the sodding thing wouldnt set up. I tried umpteen times, i could get it close, but never right.
Take a deep breath...stand back and think Colin...you must be doing something wrong. :laugh:

I still dont know why...but i took the wheel out and re-inserted it. BINGO :laugh:

It must have been offset, offcentre, whatever....causing the cassette to be slightly misaligned with the derailleur.

OP
OP
M

Marin Maniac

gbb said:
This sounds really stupid...but try what i did...
I've set up rear derailleurs a few times, enough to know the sequence, but on my last Bianchi, the sodding thing wouldnt set up. I tried umpteen times, i could get it close, but never right.
Take a deep breath...stand back and think Colin...you must be doing something wrong. :laugh:

I still dont know why...but i took the wheel out and re-inserted it. BINGO :laugh:

It must have been offset, offcentre, whatever....causing the cassette to be slightly misaligned with the derailleur.

Your right, that does sound stupid but also something you would never think of.

I'll give it a try in the morning.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mine are currently fine at the top end, fine at the bottom end and rally shabby in the middle! Not sure why, but when I get a mo it's all coming apart for a clean, lube and alignment check. It's be fine for years so I'm a tad stupmed at the mo.

Top Bottom