First 10 Mile TT - Any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Memory is a bit fuddled but I think I was 14 ish so 1974-5.

I loved time trialling so moved onto a second hand Woodrup which I had copper plated....

View attachment 406672

And then onto a Kevin Sayles Woodrup (bottom bracket on left)

View attachment 406673

Then had to work for a living and it all stopped :sad:

Bet you wished you still had them @midlife

@grellboy if you have time as others have said ride the course beforehand so you know what to expect and to get an idea of where you can get a breather or not , i rode a local tt course a couple of weeks ago on one of my rides and i was surprised by how many others looked to be doing the same all i have to do is deicde whether to enter or not ?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Memory is a bit fuddled but I think I was 14 ish so 1974-5.

I loved time trialling so moved onto a second hand Woodrup which I had copper plated....

View attachment 406672

And then onto a Kevin Sayles Woodrup (bottom bracket on left)

View attachment 406673

Then had to work for a living and it all stopped :sad:
Fantastic, and thank you.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Oh here we go. Although course is on Norfolk/ Suffolk border bloke who came second says it's quite lumpy, certainly compared to the course he's set his PB on. Anyway, of 18 competitors, I was the only private entry and I came sixth out of 18, with a time of 26.55. All the people ahead of me were aero'd up when compared to me (suits, discs, bars, helmets) so was pretty pleased tbh. Only bummer is I was a full minute behind 5th place and not sure I've got that much of an improvement in me. Average speed 22.3 mph.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Only bummer is I was a full minute behind 5th place and not sure I've got that much of an improvement in me. Average speed 22.3 mph.

It's possible to make quite big gains in the early stages if you decide to do it regularly, you might well surprise yourself.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It's possible to make quite big gains in the early stages if you decide to do it regularly, you might well surprise yourself.
Yup . I'm smashing my times by 5 minutes on TT's and 10 on local loops . At a stalemate now though as the next level to get better involves hard work :huh:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Bet you wished you still had them @midlife

@grellboy if you have time as others have said ride the course beforehand so you know what to expect and to get an idea of where you can get a breather or not , i rode a local tt course a couple of weeks ago on one of my rides and i was surprised by how many others looked to be doing the same all i have to do is deicde whether to enter or not ?

Just do it , you know you'll love it .

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Did my second 10 mile tt on Thursday and with an eye on improvement, been reading up and people suggest interval sessions (between 5 - 10 mins, depending on source) at "above threshold" so this morning i did a ride like this (see heart rate graph). Is this the right kind of thing I should be doing to improve? When near the peaks my hrm said I was in the "maximum" zone.

Screenshot_20180512-143724.png

mattobrien

Guru
Did my second 10 mile tt on Thursday and with an eye on improvement, been reading up and people suggest interval sessions (between 5 - 10 mins, depending on source) at "above threshold" so this morning i did a ride like this (see heart rate graph). Is this the right kind of thing I should be doing to improve? When near the peaks my hrm said I was in the "maximum" zone. View attachment 408815

Do you have a power meter? They are incredibly useful for time trialling.

I have used three different sessions to help improve power, sweet spot, which is 2x20mins at Z4. Z5 pyramids, 1min z5, 1min z1, 2min z5, 2 z2, up to five on and then back down. Also z6, 1 min on and 1 off, up to 15 intervals. None of these are nice, but if you do nice stuff then you won’t get quicker.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Fine by me :smile: .

I actually remember it... it's wet and I hated getting wet I was riding my Carlton Cobra with a black hand me down top from Hull Thursday, it was cold so remember putting on my Arsenal football jersey, the "embro" didn't make me any warmer...

I was hooked :smile:

They were doing a 25 mile TT through Skirlaugh last week ... today Brandesburton to Tickton 10 mile TT

Tin Pot

Guru
Doing my first actual tt on Thursday evening. Anybody got any helpful tips?

GO HARD! GO HARD! AAAAAH!

Oh and know the route well enough that when you’ve got your race brain in gear you stay on course. I mess up half the time and get disqualified. It’s really annoying.

But GO HARD ALL THE TIME!!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
GO HARD! GO HARD! AAAAAH!

Oh and know the route well enough that when you’ve got your race brain in gear you stay on course. I mess up half the time and get disqualified. It’s really annoying.

But GO HARD ALL THE TIME!!
If i did that i'd blow up after three miles ! I think even a 10 takes some discipline , probably where interval training would help the most .

Top Bottom