First 4 hours with my new Garmin GPSmap 60Csx GPS unit and City europe mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

just jim said:
I love this thread! It's like the Da Vinci Code but for GPS. Or something.

In all seriousness, it is a good thread. Btfb is asking the questions that many would, I expect, be afraid to! Or should I rephrase that... that I would be afraid to!!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

If I ever purchase a Garmin this thread will be my first stop

DON'T DO IT!!!...unless you are a very young man with many years ahead of you & nothing better to do with your life;):smile::biggrin:

Seriously peeps...I really REALLY appreciate all th einput from everybody... I am a nob, and I ask nob questions sometimes, that is how I learn. One day I hope I will have this thing under my command instead of me under it's. Then i will do all i can to help put back some of the help I am getting here when somebody else heads across to the Dark Side :smile::biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

whilst i am still trying to figure all this out I came up with a plan for my tour...I think waht i will be doing is using th epaper maps to show me roughly where the towns are on the river banks I intend to follow. Then I will add each town as a waypoint into the GPS and have it navigate me between those towns as I ride.
If i keep the distances of each 'navigation' to about 50km it should do the job. Ok it still won't be taking me exactly where i decide and I will be under it's command still, however my main reason for wanting to pre programme rides is to avoid BIG hills and motorways and bigger roads where possible. Clinging to the river banks should do that pretty much and offer a more scenic ride.
The only thing it wont achieve is to have me ride along the actual footpaths next to the rivers as I suspect they arnt even on the map mostly. Also I won thave a log of where I went for my trip 'log'/ memories etc.

However I think it will get me where i want to be, and will be particularly useful at getting me through the towns and out the other side.

I have th eGPS set to use a 'Bicycle' routing option. However it is still selecting some very busy roads like the A127 from Southend to Romford/London for example...ok it's not a motorway/highway but it is a KILLER road for cyclists. Also it has no way of avoiding hills, except by me choosing my waypoints from a topographical map, or (as I am doing) following natural features like rivers which last time I looked dont flow across valleys!

I am still going to persist with this route planning and try to store routes still. I think the key lies in understanding exactly what the maximum track, route and waypoints are that i can use in a single 'ride' so that the routes can be loade dinto the GPS without me getting continuos memory insufficiant error messages.

I am going to ask a BIG favour here now...I hope thats ok:blush:.

What would really help me here would be if someone could kindly go into Bike route toaster and plot a ride using the maximum number of track points/waypoints possible , so that if that route were stored into the GPS 20 times it would have enough memory to accept all of those routes (rides). Then post a screen shot of the Map page and the summary page for that 50km ride(1000km/20 tracks @500points max?)

Then take it into Mapsource and do what needs doing in there as far as route tools and waypoints are concerned and post a screen shot of that as well.

That way I (and others ) will be able to see what it looks liek as well as which options/settings were selected in both BRT and Mapsource.

I know that is asking a LOT, but I think a picture speaks a thousand words sometimes and this is probably one of those times.

...so ...(gets down on knees:biggrin:) ...can anybody do this for me?;)

Magna

Sounds like you're having a right old time with this gadget. Time to call it a day on your efforts I wonder? Am watching with great interest to see if you can get value out of this as I WAS interested in the idea of getting one myself. Good luck.

MockCyclist

When we say "navigate" it is actually nothing more that looking at the gps screen and making sure the little current position thingy, ie the bike, is actually following a line. The Routing line is kind of pink and solid, and is usually a straight line which approximately follows the road. The track line is a thinner dotted line which may well represent a more accurate position.

So, "Navigation", in either mode, is basically similar.

If BTFB just wanted to do a few days of touring I'd probably say oh, go with tracks; my concern is that there's insufficient capacity to do his big tour - what is it going to be - 2000 miles?

piedwagtail91 said:
most of the stuff down loadable from the internet is a track/tracklog.

Yes that's right, the mappping sites use track format as well.

piedwagtail91 said:
... you don't have to start putting waypoints in at turns and having a gps full of redundant waypoints afterwards.

OK, but you can plan a route without using "waypoints" as well, in fact I don't usually position ANY waypoints on my routes, I just plan the route as a series of mouse clicks joined by straight lines.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have th eGPS set to use a 'Bicycle' routing option. However it is still selecting some very busy roads like the A127 ...

Yes, that's why I think planning your own route is more or less essential. If you're going to accept the gps' planned routes, you don't need to do any route planning - just use Auto-Routing, Follow Road, that's it. Don't even need a pc.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
What would really help me here would be if someone could kindly go into Bike route toaster and plot a ride using the maximum number of track points/waypoints possible , so that if that route were stored into the GPS 20 times it would have enough memory to accept all of those routes (rides). Then post a screen shot of the Map page and the summary page for that 50km ride(1000km/20 tracks @500points max?)

I did this on Friday I think. I duplicated a 241-point route 50 times, ie the same route with 50 different names, and uploaded the whole lot to my unit. I still had some waypoint memory left. There *may* be a saving by having 50 sets of 241 identical route points, I just don't know, obviously planning 50 different 250-point routes is a massive task ... unless someone can automate a slight variation in the co-ordinates of each .gpx file

Bigtallfatbloke said:
... the maximum track, route and waypoints are that i can use in a single 'ride' so that the routes can be loade dinto the GPS without me getting continuos memory insufficiant error messages.

I'm not convinced that Insufficient Error messages are down to straight overloading of waypoints as such. Are you getting this message when you do a Route Calculation? If so I *think* it might be an internal overload error. When you try to upload a route with too many waypoints, you get a pop-up says "Route Truncated" and the route just stops at 250 points in.

Regarding the number of points, MapSource has an in-built facility to reduce the number of waypoints. I downloaded routes (oh, tracks, actually) from GPStracks, joined them up into a massive circular route, divided it into 100 km sections, then down-sampled each section to 250 points or less. Converted to route, upload to gps. That's it. No messing about with waypoints.

So you needn't be too concerned if you end up with a route with too many points - this can be dealt with.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok...thanks...again.
While I am reading that, let me post this:

BRT views

Mapsource view after adding waypoints and using routing tool to join them up.

Hopefully you can see what i have done here. I decided to limit the number of trackpoints in BRT by turning off autorouting and spacing my clicks further apart..pretty much town by town approx.
I then took it into Mapsource, added waypoint markers and used th erouting tool, then took it into the gPS.
When I asked it to 'navigate' it started calculating...ran for about a minute and then displayed the all to familier insufficiant memory error again.

Looking at the map I can see th estraight pink route line and the black track line. The track line does not follow th eroads at all (in fact some of it is over water!). It is a reasonable 'highlevel' route, similar to those i have seen on small aircraft GPS screens, but it would be useless for street my street navigation in a busy town.

Whay is confusing me is why I am running out of memory when if you look at the summary sheet for the BRT page it shows only 19 trackpoints.;):wacko::blush::wacko::biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Are you getting this message when you do a Route Calculation? If so I *think* it might be an internal overload error. When you try to upload a route with too many waypoints, you get a pop-up says "Route Truncated" and the route just stops at 250 points in.

No, I only get the message when I have imported a route and told the gPS to 'navigate' it. I hav ejust selected a waypoint in central london and the unit easily 'navigated' to it from my home some 50 miles ish away without any error messages.

I hav ebeen getting 'TRACK truncated' messages on almost all of the rides I have imported to the GPS from mapsource, including the 40 km short loop around my home.

Regarding the number of points, MapSource has an in-built facility to reduce the number of waypoints

ok I will try to find it...where should I look to look?

MockCyclist

I just don't know whay you're getting an error message, and I just don't know why you're even getting a "calculating" message at all. When you navigate a route that you've planned, you simply don't want the unit to do any calculating - you just want it to display it with a pointer which represents you on yer bike. Are you SURE you've got the routing options set correctly?

I think maybe there's some old stuff in there. Maybe you should go to the Trip Computer page, Menu, Reset everything.

I planned your route in b r toaster, 1256 points, downloaded it to MapSource, downsampled it to 229 points. It's in b r toaster, public, you should find it if you search for "Basel to Friedrichshafen". Can you get that file, get it into MapSource, then into your gps? It should go in effortlessly as a track. I just did it. See if you could navigate that route on your gps, do you see the track overlaid on the roads ?

I'm losing sight of the problem because you seem to be getting errors and results that defy explanation. No way should you get a Truncated message on your short loop, something is amiss.

You shouldn't have to do any of this planning a route on top of a track stuff, all you do is click the mouse wherever you think you want to flag a direction change, and it all joins up with straight lines. Make sure you have less than 250 points. Save as gpx. I can flag as many changes of direction I need, including streets in towns, and get a good length of ride in 250 points.

The only slightly tedious bit is converting the Track to a Route using gpsbabel.

Then you use MapSource to upload it to the gps.

Navigate. Off Road. No calculation. Just a solid pink line on your gps map and a black triangle which you maintain on top of the pink line. s'easy.

You need to test this with your local loop, the simple route you did ages ago, because your gps won't match up Basel to a black triangle in Essex.

MockCyclist

Ding !!!!!

You're asking your gps to get you from your front door to Basel. It's a long way and how many small roads do you think your gps will have to evaluate to get you there ?

You gotta test this with your local loop route.

I've used both methods for navigating. for my 100 mile rides which are fairly local i look at the screen when i get near a turn and check which way to go. if i'm somewhere I've not been before i let the gps navigate me with the pop up screen and warning bleep.( using a tracklog) because i want to view countryside i ahven't seen before.
we used that method in my daughters car last year to get from newquay to port Isaac it's just like sat nav.

i think it's good that you've got two differnt appraoaches from different people to help you, i've never used routes but may try one to at least learn how it's done in case i need it!

i agree with mockcyclist test everything out to get confident with it on your local rides.use both methods, both are right you just have to choose which you prefer.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

downsampled it to 229 points

how do I do that?

I will search for your file on BRT.

Ok...ref 'DING!'....When I select the route in the gps I then see two options at the bottom of the screen...'Navigate' and 'map'.
I push Navigate because I want it to navigate me ALONG that route. If i push Map, then I see the track line in black and the route line in purple overliad on the map.

When I select navigate...it seems to try to calculate how to get me from my house to Basel (not what I want) and it is then that I get the error code. I want to see the little black arrow at the start waypoint on my route (so Friedrichshafen town centre) ready to take me along the BLACK line (i.e the same ride I put into BRT).

I spoke to Garmin today. The chap was helpful and basicaly he had me turn off th eunit and re fprmat/set it whilst turned off by holding the enter and menu leys down at the same time whilst re starting the unit. I lost my POIs which I have now re uploaded, and I have re set up the unit the way I liked it (i.e 24 hour clock, km not miles etc).

He then said that I should use the auto routing feature in BRT to plot the ride, save to a gpx file and upload into mapsource. Then he said I should only need to have 2 waypoints..START & Finish, and join the two via a single route line with the routing tool. He also confirmned that the unit cannot navigate/follow a track, only a route. H etold me to ensure that mapsource was set to 'follow roads' by going to preferences>routing (ther eis no tab which I can see like we already discussed) and auto route...which i cannot do..it seems...because I do not have th eDVD.

I did exactly what he said and th emapsource screenshot lookes like this:

...edit: I treid to find your file on brt...but see no seach option...???

the bicycle option is pretty meaningless , i took it up with garmin, but they haven't done anything.
all it appears to do is alter the timings for the "time to next waypoint".
i thought it may avoid killer junctions but no such luck.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I agree it's pretty hopeless for a cyclist really.

I still can tsee any option to reduce/limit the waypoints in Mapsource..I read th ehelp section and still cant figure out how to do it. Does the fact that I only have th ebase map in there make any difference?

...this is driving me nutz...right now I am still regretting evry penny I spent on it. I am seriously considering not even taking it on tour at all....all it means to me at the moment is an extra 200+g to carry...plus the manual of course.

Time to take a break and clear my head.

Top Bottom