First Aid Kits: Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhysito

I feel I should start taking some kind of first aid kit out on long day long rides. Can anyone recommend a good small kit?

classic33

Leg End Member
Avoid the shop bought kits, there'll be much in them that'll be of no use to you.

Plaster: Roll, as well as indivual plasters.
The roll plaster can also be used to keep larger dressings in place. Micropore can be torn, meaning no scissors required.
Food Bags: Can be used both as a glove if needs be, and a means of keeping the dirty/used stuff seperate until disposal.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
More important to do a First Aid course. No kit needed to do Recovery Position and chest compressions. A mobile phone is my basic First Aid remedy, gloves, resus. shield, one or two melolin dressings, triangular bandage. If I'm first aider on a large ride, I would also take a rescue blanket and some cling film. But you need training to know properly how to assess a situation and what action to take. I would recommend the CUK course, but there are many others.
Put What3Words on your phone, the OS location app and the St John's cycling First Aid app.
Hope you never need it.

tom73

Guru
Training is great but don’t be put off not having any. Simple Stuff really works redcross app is great simple to follow app.
@classic33 is right forget bought ones full of cheep crap most is pointless.
Another vote for food bag I keep mine in one easy to carry and can use the bag if needed too.
Unless your going way off the beaten track then basic stuff will do.
platers ,a few alcohol wipes,triangular bandage is one of the most useful things to have.
cohesive type bandage easy to rip and sticks to its self so no tape needed.
elasticated bange will hold stuff in place too crap for anything else.
tegaderm dressing is handy conforms to joints and self adhesive.
resus shield don’t bother for lay responders compression only CPR is more effective.
Effective full CPR takes practice and lots of it we use to practice it at least mouthy if not more.
Basically keep it simple.
All you really need to be able to patch yourself up anything else and it’s a call for the ambos.
Remember most every day items work your jersey will stop bleeding if you really need to.
In fact you don’t need a kit for most things.

@Nick Saddlesore cling film on a bike ride why?

What 3 words app forget it not every control room have access to it. It’s not as great as it makes out.

Ps it’s St. John (after years of being referred to as St. Johns the added s sort of grates you after a bit) :smile:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
cling film on a bike ride why?
I carry a small amount round a pencil. It will cover a graze or burn, even hold together a deep wound, hold a dressing on, keep dirt out. Wash damage first with whatever is in your water bottle. Cling film is food safe, so no risk. And it sticks to itself. Don't wrap too tight.
For location, it's best to use a land line. After that the more ways of giving your location the better. Some controls can access What3Words, some can't. Not all can access OS grid refs. London uses the old A-Z in digital form. Google maps are good if you've got an internet signal, which the others don't need.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

Guzzi

I have two first aid kits one is for "BooHoos", plasters, painkillers etc. The second is for the "OH S***!!!" and has a compression bandage (FFD), Eyewash pods, Burn Gel and Cling film. On Scout Camp EpiPens are put in this one.

tom73

Guru
I carry a small amount round a pencil. It will cover a graze or burn, even hold together a deep wound, hold a dressing on, keep dirt out. Wash damage first with whatever is in your water bottle. Cling film is food safe, so no risk. And it sticks to itself. Don't wrap too tight.
For location, it's best to use a land line. After that the more ways of giving your location the better. Some controls can access What3Words, some can't. Not all can access OS grid refs. London uses the old A-Z in digital form. Google maps are good if you've got an internet signal, which the others don't need.

Ok well other than as a burn dressing i'd not be using it. It will provide little us if wound is that deep and needs holding together much better solutions are around it wont stop bleeding that for sure.

Top Bottom