First big accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thank-you very much

coulda/shoulda been very nasty but my native blind luck saved me once again

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
suppose, they slow you down a fair bit before you hit the deck I suppose

you don't really get to pick and chose what hits you though surely?

JamesAC

Tynan said:
suppose, they slow you down a fair bit before you hit the deck I suppose

you don't really get to pick and chose what hits you though surely?

Well, I was reading some where that if you know you're going to crash into a car, make a good job of it, as it were, aim for the bonnet, and make a grab for the windscreen wipers or the air vents, anywhere you can hang on.

The bonnet is a thin sheet of steel, and will bend, absorbing some of the impact; and if you can hang on, it avoids your being thrown into the road to be run over by another vehicle.

That's the theory, and I don't really want to have to put it into practice.

Good to hear that things are turniong out ok: let us know what the law does with the driver, if anything.

Well, I was reading some where that if you know you're going to crash into a car, make a good job of it, as it were, aim for the bonnet, and make a grab for the windscreen wipers or the air vents, anywhere you can hang on.

Ok i'll make a shopping list as I fly through the air.:smile:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the driver got some training despite me asking for a prosecution

this particular accident involved me hitting the car where ever I hit it and then disappearing over the other side, didn't have any conscious choices effectively

done that once before going far slower and still did a full somersault over the car

I did get hit once from the side and ended up on the windscreen in cliched fashion

that advice sounds unrealistic to me, I think if you've hit something hard enough to send you up and over the car, you won't have time to grab anything and not have the strength to stop yourself anyway, I think the momentum takes over, I worked it out at 1100 kg m/s, what momentum me and the bike had between us doing 25 mph, it's one hell of a lot, takes some stopping, thankfully I almost completely cleared the car, it's going to be hitting something square or going under something that does for you I'd imagine

biking_fox

Guru
If you've got time/skills to aim for where you are going, do try and make sure you can get at least 1 brake lever square onto the cagers bodywork. Shouldn't need to be going too fast to punch right through! The rest of the bike/you crumples too easily to leave a permenant impression. :smile:

Glad to hear you are getting your compensation finally - and that you can have a proper bike again!

Is driver "re-training" any more effective reminding drivers to pay attention than a fiscal/custodial penalty ???

GrahamG

Guru
Man, that has taken a while - sounds like you are in need of some serious further compensation considering the extent of your injuries, particularly given that you are still feeling it 4 months later and could for longer.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
deedy, they did say the oppo insurance has three months to even initially reply, it was absolutely open and shut accident so they've held off for three months for no other reason that they can and the money stays in their account that much longer

and I've only had a mention of an interim payout today, that's still to be agreed, hopefully buying the new one with my own money shortly

there's defo some sort of PI claim on top, the first week was very painful and difficult with a few weeks of proper sore after than, wore a sling for two weeks, and as I say some lingering problems, still once the bike and kit is paid for they can wrangle about the PI until kingdom come (well not exactly but you get the picture)

I used to read about motorcycle claims that took four or five years while the insurance lawyers wrangles about the exact figure, it's ludicrous and all about making the insurance companies rich

maybe I'm cynical but training saves everyone time and money, personally I think some point or a conviction would have a far more lasting effect

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Glad to hear due process progressing and you're getting whats owed to you!

Can't help but think that if you had had this accident in the north of England you might have been able to claim for 'Tynan Wear'.

Keep healing and wheeling!

T x

Top Bottom