First bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
The first bike I remember owning was an Apollo lazer Halfords special, think I was about 14. It did me as a rough arsed teenager and carried me to work everday until I was about 18 and passed my driving test, think it got passed on to one of the neighbours kids at some point.
Not mine but basically the same -
$_86.JPG

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dark blue Raleigh Wayfarer with SA 3 speed hub. Later fitted with bottle dynamo. And cycling proficiency metal badge (which had very sharp edges)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
it was 1967...it was xmas...and both me and my sister were waiting for new bikes...a dawes kingpin...in blue. I loved it I was over the moon and me and my trusty kingpin spent many happy hours roaming the back roads of Northern Ireland (ah the days when kids were allowed out on their own for hours...and hours) here is a pic still makes me smile when I think of it complete with transfers and a matching set of white panniers on the back (used to go to the shops for my mum and those panniers came back loaded...)
kingpin_zps0uddv7gu.jpg

@runner

Oi! Mush! That photo is a photo of my bike!

Here's a photo of the bike restored.
image.jpg

Last edited:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
DSC_0031.JPG

I found this the other day after not seeing it for some 20 years

This was my first bike ride, a hire bike on our family holidays, not sure of the location, some time about 1974

I remember it so vividly and loved the afternoon on the bike so much

RegG

Über Member
Mum & Dad bought me a Moulton Standard when I passed the 11+ back in 1964. It was, I think, shortly after they came out and I was thrilled to have it. It was fitted with Sturmey Archer 4 speed hub gears and, of course, suspension front and rear, although the rear suspension was simply a block of rubber. Even so, it was a great bike and I cycled many, many miles on it and kept it for many years. Cant remember what eventually happened to it but I wish I still had it. Have looked for photos of the bike but not found any yet. If I do I will post one.

slowwww

Veteran
+1 for Chopper. Mine was the mark II in ultra violet with the toggle shaped gear changer (a.k.a. castrator) rather than the round mark I design.

I saved up christmas, birthday and paper-round money to buy it, but quickly realised the extent to which it was style over substance, and 'chopped' it in for a Sun Squadra 'racer', which was much lighter at only half the weight of the Forth Bridge.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
"Those were the days" when we wore our school uniform all the time. No 'leisure wear' and no long trousers until I was around 13, when we were allowed to wear them at school ... however, to return to the thread ..... a not very informative picture of myself plus Raleigh Trent (post #25) a few years on, now repainted frame, dropped bars, new saddle, clips and straps. Still 3 speed Sturmey Archer. By now I was seriously into cycling and had built up my first proper road bike - Gerrard frame, Campag, tubs etc, and the Trent had become my 'training' bike. Later on it would become my winter fixed wheel bike.
p bike.jpeg

Top Bottom