First Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If in London, make sure you have some budget for a decent D lock (assume £30+)

The Decathlon bike looks much better than the Halfords one

Anna Scott

Hi! I'm also going to be a cyclist:cycle: But don't even know what to start with. As I'm a girl I'd like to buy not heavy bike, and as it's my first bike I'd preffer not to pay much for it. I want to go around on it and sometimes want to go to forest, just to admire the nature and play sports at the same time. Can you, please, recommend me something?

I think it would have its uses .
Like if you ride it towards Evans front door during the night and smash right through it first time of asking ^_^
Joking aside,it would not last you and it's very heavy so I wouldn't bother .
As someone suggested earlier,just be patient and something far more better in the second hand market will turn up

+1 to decathlon.

A friend of mine is getting on very well with this after a couple of years http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-100-classic-style-bike-black-id_8305485.html

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for decathlon , i was looking at this if you want a mtb style bike .
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-ladies-mountain-bike-id_8284494.html
big_913e07bb26e54bb7a01d80f774fba2d3.jpg

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Decathlon's spot on for inexpensive bikes. I've got my girl's Christmas bikes there if I hadn't found some ex-display bargains.

MarkF

Guru
I think it would have its uses .
Like if you ride it towards Evans front door during the night and smash right through it first time of asking ^_^
Joking aside,it would not last you and it's very heavy so I wouldn't bother .
As someone suggested earlier,just be patient and something far more better in the second hand market will turn up

Weight is not a huge consideration for a new rider and IMO it is not a heavy bike at 15kg, my current daily ride, a Dawes 501, weighs the same, and about the same as the 201 that I got started on years ago. I consider my road bike a light bike.

Decathlon's spot on for inexpensive bikes. I've got my girl's Christmas bikes there if I hadn't found some ex-display bargains.

Yep, if I was starting out now then that's where I'd go. £129.99 for that bike and I'd happily do a long tour on it. I've hired loads of them in Spain for day rides and they are an unbelievable bargain!

Last edited:
Weight is not a huge consideration for a new rider and IMO it is not a heavy bike at 15kg, my current daily ride, a Dawes 501, weighs the same, and about the same as the 201 that I got started on years ago. I consider my road bike a light bike.

Yep, if I was starting out now then that's where I'd go. £129.99 for that bike and I'd happily do a long tour on it. I've hired loads of them in Spain for day rides and they are an unbelievable bargain!
Ok,I'll put it another way.
It's a piece of crap and about the ugliest bike I have saw.
Starting from the bottom isn't the best way IMO,and I see no reason why even a beginner can't have a quality bike from the off.If I had started biking with something like that all those years ago,It would have put me off for life.
If the OP doesn't take to cycling,then at least she has something that will have half a chance of getting her money back.
As opposed to selling that one for 50 quid on gumtree(if you're lucky :okay:)
Not wanting to put the cat amongst the pigeons or wanting an argument here,and I have said this before.
I wouldn't touch a Retail park bike,and especially Not Decathlon efforts.I did have a look one day and their btwins frame quality is questionable.
That's putting it nicely

MarkF

Guru
Ok,I'll put it another way.
It's a piece of crap and about the ugliest bike I have saw.
Starting from the bottom isn't the best way IMO,and I see no reason why even a beginner can't have a quality bike from the off.If I had started biking with something like that all those years ago,It would have put me off for life.
If the OP doesn't take to cycling,then at least she has something that will have half a chance of getting her money back.
As opposed to selling that one for 50 quid on gumtree(if you're lucky :okay:)
Not wanting to put the cat amongst the pigeons or wanting an argument here,and I have said this before.
I wouldn't touch a Retail park bike,and especially Not Decathlon efforts.I did have a look one day and their btwins frame quality is questionable.
That's putting it nicely

I've real life experience of them, I've hired the very same bike umpteen times as they are ubiquitous in Spanish rental companies. I flew into Barcelona and did an 8 day tour of Catalonia on one, hired at 8 euros per day. No issues and not bad for a "piece of crap", for me (knowing them) there was no point in flying out one of my own bikes for such a short tour.

Do I like the look of them? No, they are pig ugly. Do I want to own one? No. But IMO they are the perfect bike for a beginner and at £129.99 it's great value, hire companies don't stock up bikes that cannot take abuse. Residuals? If, as you say, you get £50 back on Gumtree then you'd have had many miles of "getting started" for a measly £79.99, thus, it's residual value is better than your "quality" bike.

The Halford bike is a cheap bike, but one highly specced with cheap components, the B'twin is cheap yet sturdy & simple bicycle, completely different things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom