First Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all

I would like some help with buying a new bike.
As this is my first bike I dont intend to spend a lot right now.

I have finalized this bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/indi-voyager-womens-mountain-bike-16

I know this is a cheap bike but I dont mind if It lasts atleast a year. My use is probably just going to the gym which is around 2miles away?
I have tried looking for second hand bikes on ebay and gumtree but not had much luck.
what do you all think of the above bike - ?

Thanks
Pari

My first bike was similar - a full suspension MTB from Halfords about £80.

It will make cycling a misery.

The chain falling off a few times each ride.

Shifting gear removed the skin from my thumbs. Even with gloves on.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Hi all

I would like some help with buying a new bike.
As this is my first bike I dont intend to spend a lot right now.

I have finalized this bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/indi-voyager-womens-mountain-bike-16

I know this is a cheap bike but I dont mind if It lasts atleast a year. My use is probably just going to the gym which is around 2miles away?
I have tried looking for second hand bikes on ebay and gumtree but not had much luck.
what do you all think of the above bike - ?

Thanks
Pari

Hello Pari,

I wouldn't touch the Indi with a barge pole. The problem with this type of bike is that it looks good but it's built down to a cost. There's a lot of cheap full suspension mountain bikes on the market but the majority of them are made out of very poor quality components and are designed to appeal to a wide range of people in terms of aesthetics.

If I were you, and I was using the bike for what you are intending, I would try to find an inexpensive hybrid bike (no suspension - you don't really need it plus it makes the bike heavier and narrower tyres - make you quicker).

If it's not urgent I would keep on looking for a second hand example. There's a chance that bikes with a retail of £200+ are being sold for less than that as unwanted gifts.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Just remember to apply common sense when purchasing second hand. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Ask to see a proof of purchase, not everyone will have one but it doesn't mean the bikes nicked. A lot of people register their bikes on sites like Bikeregister and Immobilise. They put in the bikes serial number and description and can log if it gets stolen. I know that Bikeregister provides you with a document when you register your bike and that would normally indicate all is OK.

If you can't find anything then cancel your gym membership, spend more money on a bike and get riding

GOAB

OP
OP
P

pari_girl

Hello Everyone
Thank you so much for all your replies really appreciate it. It has been really helpful for buying my first :bicycle:
In fact I did not expect so many responses :wahhey:

I have decided not to get the Apollo bike :smile: Actively looking for second hand bikes on Gumtree
Ok so now I have been offered a free bike its a Raleigh ( yippe I know the cycle brands now) Problem is this bike was lying around for 4 years now
I am posting pictures here so can get some advise if I ca get this repaired - well if is it actually repairable.
Is the repair cost worth it ?

Attachments

• IMG_20170109_144222.jpg
    IMG_20170109_144222.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170109_144133.jpg
    IMG_20170109_144133.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170109_144130.jpg
    IMG_20170109_144130.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170109_144124.jpg
    IMG_20170109_144124.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170109_143952.jpg
    IMG_20170109_143952.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170109_143552.jpg
    IMG_20170109_143552.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 48

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The good thing you can say about it is it's free, afraid it pretty much goes downhill after that.

If it's been laying round for four years you can add at least another couple of decades to its real age.. it might very well be repairable but how much money do you want to throw at it. It looks like a basic model, nothing wrong with that but it might never be very pleasant to ride. The steel rims won't stop in the wet without special pads, the wheels will likely need truing, needs new chain, chainset, possibly tyres, new tubes. That's just the stuff I can see. Do you really want to spend money that you won't get back when it comes to selling?

There must be some better stuff out there.

Is the repair cost worth it ?
If you don't know anyone to help you with this, take it into a bike shop and get a quote. Tell them you only want minimum to make it safe and rideable. If you don't like the total, then thank them and walk away. Take the bike to a recycling charity if there is one in your neighbourhood.

If you don't know a good LBS (local bike shop) then tell us where you live, and someone will know one. Also, someone might step up and help get it on the road if they are nearby.

A friend needed a more upright bike following back surgery was able to get a skip-rescue bike back on the road for the cost of new tubes and tyres. It's not a great bike, but it does the job - and I will pass it on to a new owner when she is done with it. Note, new tubes and tyres will be at least £30, and then you add cables and brakes and it would be easy for this bike to cost well over £100 before labour just to make it safe. To be sure, the rusty wheel rims worry me, but I don't know if that can be fixed with a little oil and elbow grease.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@pari_girl that would be agreat bike to get you around town but i would estimate about £60 - 100 to get that mobile again unless you can do a lot of it yourself

its a nice project for sure , if thats the kind of bike you want you , i have the green Ladies Brace of Bromwich's that i am sure we could work a deal out .

it has been service by myself about 3 months ago and used very lightly since

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Great suggestion by @biggs682 . You'll can be assured they are good to go and you won't have to mess with anything yourself.

in all fairness it been all apart and all bearings apart from the rear wheel hub have been stripped , cleaned and re greased , new brake cables and later style longer mtb pads fitted if it done 5 miles since thats it .

down sides are steel rims but in quite good condition , only 5 gears and the tyres are useable for sure but not brilliant , certainly good enough

Mb49

Regular
Hi. Like you said you don't want to spend much and you know you won't get much. What I would say is don't get full suspension, it will be worse than rubbish. I personally wouldn't buy used , as you'll just get some worse rubbish, but without a warranty. I'd say go in halfords cycle department ask to speak to person who knows the bikes well, as some don't.Ask for their best deals. Halfords aren't bad , a lot of people slag them off , but depending what you want they can be a good option.Hope this helps

Top Bottom