First Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pari_girl

Hi all

I would like some help with buying a new bike.
As this is my first bike I dont intend to spend a lot right now.

I have finalized this bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/indi-voyager-womens-mountain-bike-16

I know this is a cheap bike but I dont mind if It lasts atleast a year. My use is probably just going to the gym which is around 2miles away?
I have tried looking for second hand bikes on ebay and gumtree but not had much luck.
what do you all think of the above bike - ?

Thanks
Pari

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
If it gets you going to where you want to go... go for it and good luck! :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What do I think of that bike? Not much I'm afraid. Its steel not aluminium so it's likely to be heavier than you! Thick knobbly tyres. All adds up to something that's going to be a effort to pedal.

You can get much better second hand if you're patient. Try to aim for something called a hybrid, without suspension, you don't need it, it just adds weight.

Have a read of this thread by someone in a similar situation;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/buying-my-first-proper-bike.212031/

If you want new from Halfords this is a much better prospect:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165534&productId=1230879&storeId=10001

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
I agree with the above - I looks like a heavy bike and you def don't need heavy and pretty ineffective suspension for the type of riding you plan to do.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It is cheap for a reason.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@pari_girl if it ticks your boxes then fair enough

but like others have said it will be heavy and of not great quality , i would keep looking at the 2nd hand market if that is your budget there are loads around

what about this Claude Butler Courier 'fixie'

i normally have a few older style 2nd hand bikes for sale but at the moment they are all of the larger sized road bikes

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're only going to the gym on it, you'd be better off going for what's known as a single speed bike. There are loads on Gumtree, some for under 100 quid. You don't need to be worrying about the faff of derailleur gears, or disc brakes, from what you say.

A new one from Halfords here.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=261353&productId=1292717&storeId=10001
Just to translate a 'fixie' is a fixed gear single speed bike. Fixed means there is no freewheel so you can't stop pedaling, the crank just keeps going round.

The fixie in the link from biggs682 is one with what we call a rear 'flip flop hub' that means one side has a freewheel which means you can stop pedalling if you wish. You just flip the wheel.

Last edited:
Just to translate a 'fixie' is a fixed gear single speed bike. Fixed means there is no freewheel so you can't stop pedaling, the crank just keeps going round.

The fixie in the link from biggs682 is one with what we call a rear 'flip flop hub' that means one side has a freewheel which means you can stop pedalling if you wish. You just flip the wheel.
Hence the reason I said "single speed" not "fixie". A lot of flip flop hubbed bikes are marketed as "fixies". True "fixies" are track bikes, with no freewheel, and no brakes (you use your legs to brake).

That full suspension steel framed "mtb" will be a pig to ride and even harder to handle on stair cases, bike racks, trains etc.
If you ars just riding on road and bike paths, get a non suspension bike. If you are riding to work get some reliable tough tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon, to reduce punctures. If you are hauling a shopping load, get one with the threaded eyelets for bolt-on luggage rack.
Whatever bike you get, get the right size.
Raleigh do better models. Go Outdoors and Decathlon are good for cheap rideable bikes.

Top Bottom