First Brompton unfold - how tricky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Sometime in June I'm looking to hire a Brompton from one of their lockers for a long weekend, with an eye to testing it out to see if I might want to buy one myself; mainly for the commute, but also for some local short-distance riding where getting out my road bike is a bit of overkill.

However having never had a folding bike before I'm a little hesitant on what to do when I get it - I'll need to unfold it and set it up (safely) on the pavement by the locker so I can ride away and I just fear that I'll make a right hash of it as I am usually all fingers and thumbs when it comes to these sorts of things. I've watched a video on how to unfold and my only thought was "will I be able to remember all those steps?". I suppose if I had the bike at home I could practice unfolding and folding to my hearts content until I got it down to muscle memory but that's not an option on a side street in the centre of London.

So can anyone allay my fears of a first time unfold and show that it's not as tricky as it seems, or perhaps any pointers on any potential problems I need to be aware of? As I said, once I've done it a few times I'm sure it'll be easy, but I don't want to break the bike (or myself) before I even get to ride it more than a couple of yards!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Are there any Evans cycle shops nearby? Pop into your nearest with the pretence of buying one. They can show you and let your try the folding mechanism a few times for yourself.

Nibor

Bewildered
When you unfold the handle bars you push down to release them. when you unfold the main frame grip the the upright of the bars in an over hand grip lift the saddle slightly to release the fold and push the hinge around. There is a littlwe bit of technique to unfolding it but it isn't rocket science.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Unfolding is quite intuitive. Folding it up, just remember to pretty much pull the front wheel back with it still facing forwards as you fold the frame, and locate the catch onto the frame rather then trying to fold it backwards on itself as My Son did when he borrowed mine one day.

unfold is seat tube, bars, frame, flip rear wheel out

fold is reverse. flip wheel under (new ones have a catch to unhook), fold frame/ front wheel back, bars, seat post (which then locks it all in place).

gizmo1994

The Brompton hire bikes are covered in instructions on how to fold and unfold. Plus all the parts are colour coded to match the instructions. The upper grip, when folded is a different colour to the other one with something like "push here" to start the unfold. Keep the front wheel pointing forwards during the mainframe unfold. It is pretty simple really.

Kell

Veteran
It is labelled up and it does become habit.

Doesn't matter how many times I was shown it, or videos I watched, when it came to do it in a hurry, I couldn't figure it out...

But the easiest way to unfold it:

• stand on the non-drive side.
  • pull the bars up and lock them in place
  • pull the seat up (bearing in mind this is your first time, you might need to fiddle with this once it's fully assembled
  • grab the head tube (the guy in the Brompton junction said to me "show the world your watch" (it just makes sure you grab it the right way round) then pull that up and round and lock it.
  • Lift the whole thing up and over the top of the rear wheel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBnLrhOjuM

ANd here's how to fold it...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstg2hKFsH4

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
grab the head tube (the guy in the Brompton junction said to me "show the world your watch" (it just makes sure you grab it the right way round) then pull that up and round and lock it.
pull the seat up (bearing in mind this is your first time, you might need to fiddle with this once it's fully assembled

wrong way round - the seat tube locks the headtube / front wheel in place.

Kell

Veteran
wrong way round - the seat tube locks the headtube / front wheel in place.

oh yeah...

Amended now.

ETA: just shows that I do it without thinking. When I had to think about it I got it the wrong way around.

Tenkaykev

Guru
It is labelled up and it does become habit.

Doesn't matter how many times I was shown it, or videos I watched, when it came to do it in a hurry, I couldn't figure it out...

But the easiest way to unfold it:

• stand on the non-drive side.
  • pull the bars up and lock them in place
  • pull the seat up (bearing in mind this is your first time, you might need to fiddle with this once it's fully assembled
  • grab the head tube (the guy in the Brompton junction said to me "show the world your watch" (it just makes sure you grab it the right way round) then pull that up and round and lock it.
  • Lift the whole thing up and over the top of the rear wheel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBnLrhOjuM

ANd here's how to fold it...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstg2hKFsH4

For the first step, instead of saying “ pull the bars up “ I’d say push them away from you initially . That frees them from the catch. As you say, once you’ve done it a few times it’s second nature. ( and some of us spent far too much time in lockdown with a folded Brompton and a stopwatch 😁 )

I had to Google it when I bought mine. Now it's second nature. I think I got the fold/unfold down to about 10 seconds. I used to practice in the lift at work - would it be ready by the time I've gone down two floors ?

Oh the jeopardy !

It doesn't take long to become proficient in the brompton fold. Just make sure it's a bike shape before trying to ride it and if it's not a small, neat package when folded try it again you've gone wrong.

Just get one. Save your money on the hire and take the plunge. Seriously you've got more serious issues with the learner brompton / small wheel wobble and potholes than you have with the food. I'm one broken elbow and 7 weeks recovery before I got back on my 1 week old brompton after a pothole. Still one of the best bike purchases ever. First week off commuting it justified itself when a northern guard told me I couldn't get on the train was too busy. 25s later (2 days getting used to the fold meant 25s fold) I ignored them and got on with my hand luggage. After getting back on my brompton I had similar situation a few times. Now they know me on my route and I never have any issues.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sometime in June I'm looking to hire a Brompton from one of their lockers for a long weekend, with an eye to testing it out to see if I might want to buy one myself; mainly for the commute, but also for some local short-distance riding where getting out my road bike is a bit of overkill.

However having never had a folding bike before I'm a little hesitant on what to do when I get it - I'll need to unfold it and set it up (safely) on the pavement by the locker so I can ride away and I just fear that I'll make a right hash of it as I am usually all fingers and thumbs when it comes to these sorts of things. I've watched a video on how to unfold and my only thought was "will I be able to remember all those steps?". I suppose if I had the bike at home I could practice unfolding and folding to my hearts content until I got it down to muscle memory but that's not an option on a side street in the centre of London.

So can anyone allay my fears of a first time unfold and show that it's not as tricky as it seems, or perhaps any pointers on any potential problems I need to be aware of? As I said, once I've done it a few times I'm sure it'll be easy, but I don't want to break the bike (or myself) before I even get to ride it more than a couple of yards!
If it was possible to break the bike by folding/unfolding then the bike locker scheme wouldn't have lasted this long. They're tougher than they look:smile:

When you stop and are ready to fold it's best if the drive side pedal is somewhere around the 10 or 11 o'clock position. Otherwise it can get in the way of the fold.

When you're folding angle the front wheel so it's pointing slightly left. That stops it hitting the bike as you "sit it down" on the rear wheel.

You'll soon get used to it. Especially when you get total strangers asking for a demo just because it looks so impressive.

Top Bottom