First carbon road bike - looking at around £1400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Cube Agree GTC Compact 2013 on jejamescycles.co.uk now -

Price £799 - 5 hours remaining on grab deal - sizes 53 & 56 only.

OP
OP
M

Mr_K_Dilkington

What size frame will you need ?

There are guys & girls on here who are very good at spotting a great deal.

Can I throw a wildcard in ?

I will anyway.

Sintesi Z2 or M2 @ tweekscycles.co.uk - full Sram Force & full Toray T800 carbon frame & fork with 1545g Ritchey WCS Zeta wheelset - 2012 model but 2012 price £1500.

N.B - "TURQUOISE" - don't let the Bianchi fan boys see you call it that.

Bianchi's are overpriced - under specced & over rated too :whistle:

I'm a 56cm frame (I'm about 6 foot 1).

The Sintesi looks interesting though!

What colour should Bianchis be referred to then? I've come to realise they do seem to be under specced for the price compared to similarly priced bikes, which is probably enough to put me off them - they are just so beautiful though :smile:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I'm a 56cm frame (I'm about 6 foot 1).

The Sintesi looks interesting though!

What colour should Bianchis be referred to then? I've come to realise they do seem to be under specced for the price compared to similarly priced bikes, which is probably enough to put me off them - they are just so beautiful though :smile:
Hi - Bianchi official colour it is renowned for is Celeste.

At 6ft 1 you are approx 3/4 inch taller than I am.

My Sintesi Z2 is size large but equates to a 56 & it's quite 'race' in it's geometry.

The Z2 has an 'Aero' seatpost/mast which can be raised/lowered like any 'standard' seatpost.

The M2 which they still had last I looked has an ISP - intergrated seat post which has to be cut down to size by the store when you purchase it.
Obviously this entails getting you set up 1st & taking measurements.

The name Sintesi is very little known in the U.K but quite well known in other European countries.

Tweeks are the only U.K dealer & as they are selling off stock it appears (though I've not been told) they may not continue to be a Sintesi dealer.

There in lies the only real downside for me at least.

The spec on both the Z2 & M2 is the same & very high for £1500 (£2500 list price).

Toray T800 full carbon frame & fork
(This is same Toray carbon as Giant's flagship Advanced SL bikes) & only 1 grade behind Toray T1000 top grade (in bike industry) carbon.

Full 2012 Sram Force (10 speed not 11) including cassette/brakes & chainset - try getting that from Specialized or Giant (& I do like Giant products).

Ritchey WCS Zeta 2012 wheelset - 1545g & titanium skewers.

Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres (none too shabby).

Last I looked - only the white/black colour scheme Z2 & Red/White M2 were available - both large I believe

I have actually sat on the M2 in the store & can tell you there is plenty of room for a 6ft 1 guy to get fitted to this & it looks the dogs danglies too.

If you can live with the 'not big brand' older model thing & 10 speed 2012 groupset, it's a real good buy.

Other than that I can recommend Giant bikes as a quality product & Cube - Focus - Canyon for best quality v VFM.

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
Gen ??

Sorry - genuine ??

As in no duff ??

I've been had - always believed Celeste was the official colour.

Marie Celeste - a big green sinking ship.

Or would be if not trading upon a once proud name.
Google translate is your friend. :whistle:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would take the suggestion made by @jowwy and consider looking at the Tarmac SL4 sport. It features a lifetime frame warranty and has a carbon layup specific to the requirement of the frame size to give great characteristics and recieves rave reviews. In fact bike radar recently stated "one of the best rides of any bike at this price"
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...cycles-specialized-tarmac-sl4-sport-14-47849/
The biggest downside of the Tarmac SL4 sport is that it makes people like me who dropped big money on a S-Works look like idiots. :cursing:

Although I remain a specialized fanyboy I also think @Peteaud made a great suggestion with the Synapse which is also an outstanding frame set from a company renown for supporting customers.

I think people get to caught up in specification of components and unless you going for the exceptionally high end stuff, its all pretty much fit for purpose. If you were going to buy an executive car a Lexus (posh Toyota) and Infinity (posh Nissan) will have a higher specification than a Mercedes Benz for the same money... I know which one feels better put together, I know which one I would want.

park1

If you are going to get one bike for everything, weekend riding and commuting in the rain/rubbish weather i'd look a bike around £1000 then some good £400 wheels to use when the weathers good. £1400 will undoubtedly get you a very nice bike but the wheel sets are not usually too high spec. If the wheel set is good I'd still consider something cheap for commuting.

I watched the bike if the year vid and they said the 2014 synapse had a shorter head tube than 2013, just not as low as the super six.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Sorry for the quick hi-jacking of this thread (& I promise not to do it again) but out of interest Mr H - is the Specialized Venge as hard (uncompromising/stiff & uncomfortable) as is sometimes made out ?

It's the only Spesh I kinda like & have seen lower specced '13' models on offer.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Sorry for the quick hi-jacking of this thread (& I promise not to do it again) but out of interest Mr H - is the Specialized Venge as hard (uncompromising/stiff & uncomfortable) as is sometimes made out ?

It's the only Spesh I kinda like & have seen lower specced '13' models on offer.

Yes.. The Venge is stiff and harsh, it can feel like your teeth are coming loose at times. The thing is its a genuinely exciting bike and a joy to ride. It's a rewarding experience to ride one, it feels lively and just asks you to go faster and faster. Its not uncomfortable in any way though... It's a bike which always makes me smile.

OP
OP
M

Mr_K_Dilkington

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm taking it for a proper test ride tomorrow lunchtime, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going for the Cube Agree GTC Pro 2014: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-ag...nents-bikewear/fcp-product/53485?listing=true

One of the best specced bikes for this price range, really got on well with it in and around the shop and it looks frickin' sweet in real life.

Would have plumped for the 2013 model for a few hundred quid off, but can't find any now in my size (pretty sure 58cm in this bike) in placed which accept Cycle Scheme vouchers.

Top Bottom