First Century ride advice - experiences please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dont get swept up by the excitement of the day. Its a ride, not a race. I dont know who said it but this is true. "If you want to go far. You need to slow down".

Dont forget the factor 50 sun cream. I got caught out this weekend and crisped. At least I got instant tan lines.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Looking at your stats you will be fine . Another vote for knocking the speed back at tad over the first 60 miles then press on if you feel like it . Drink and eat often especially if it's warm drinking is very important . Use the feed stations for quick break and a stretch and time out the saddle .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can't comment on the distance as I've never ridden that far in one day, but I will say don't go silly on the build up. You must be pretty fit looking at the distance and speeds you do already, so there's no point in pushing it hard and then picking up an injury as a result that will spoil your ride day. Personally, I would choose the most comfortable bike I had, and I wouldn't give a toss about what my average speed was. I would just take it easy, keep hydrated, and regard just finishing as the achievement, rather than maintaining a target speed.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I would say take your time, hydrate, eat properly, and enjoy your ride. I used to ride in our local century ride, until my work started paying me overtime for duties on a conflicting schedule. I enjoy such events greatly. I hope you will as well.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Well...Made good use of feed stops; didn't manage to get in a group much as the field split into 1/2/3s quickly so spent most on my own; enjoyed the day and finished...

Flat route (1700feet in 100 miles)
16.7 mph average moving speed. I'll take that!

Strategy worked. Century with hills next...

Thanks for the support

Alan O

Über Member
Well...Made good use of feed stops; didn't manage to get in a group much as the field split into 1/2/3s quickly so spent most on my own; enjoyed the day and finished...

Thanks for the support
Nicely done! That's a pretty decent speed too - faster than I'll be doing mine (although I'm on for around 4,000 feet of climbing).

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Thanks for the support

Missed this post originally, but wouldn't rush into a hilly century too soon :okay: Do another couple of flatish century rides to build your confidence before tackling a hilly route, although that depends what you mean by hilly :smile: I did a century ride last weekend with relative ease, only 2200 ft of climbing, yet on Wednesday I did a 39 mile ride with 5100ft of climbing & it was tough as hell. Hilly century rides require a combination of physical & mental strength :okay: In fact I don't think I've ever done a really hilly century ride (that'll change this year)

Well done on achieving your 1st century ride, something you'll never forget & that feeling of completing your 1st is never replicated

galgoman

Regular
You can do it. Team up with some others and draft when you can to save energy. Just don't get the urge to try and stay with the lead groups. Completing a Century ride no matter how long it takes is a great ride!!! Have fun!

Top Bottom