First Century ride advice - experiences please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

Here's the sit rep:

Signed up for end of May 100 charity ride, then realised it's only three weeks away and the final week's "training" is too late so effectively a fortnight to prep.

Route is flat, 100miles (obvs) and around where I live so know it well.

- I can do solo 65-70 with a few hills (3000feet climbing) @16mph;
- managed a flat (700feet) 30mph @19.9mph (gutted!) recently
- been on a few club runs of 45-50 @16mph and managed quite easily.
- Solo flat routes of up to 40 miles I'm disappointed with <18mph.

Am hoping relatively swift shorter distances = slow long ones?

Question is - with a few more high-end blasts of 30-50miles over the next weeks do you think (in your experience) the century will be manageable?

Alan O

Über Member
I've often seen it suggested that if you can do around 75% of the distance, you should be able to do the whole distance on the day just fine. There'll be a psychological uplift on the day too.

I've got a charity 100 coming up in July, and I've already done one ride of > 70. I intend to do mostly shorter (~40 mile) rides throughout May and June, and attempt one of around 75 a couple of weeks before the big day. I specifically don't want to do a 100 in advance, because I want to keep that as the challenge.

One thing I might suggest, if you only have three weeks left, is try to get in one ride of around 75 miles, say within the next week so that it's around two weeks before the event?

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

One thing I might suggest, if you only have three weeks left, is try to get in one ride of around 75 miles, say within the next week so that it's around two weeks before the event?

Yeah, was going to get this in next weekend with some shorter ones in the week.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Just keep riding. It's not a big step up. Just eat real food and keep hydrated and you knock out the 100 no probs.

Yeah - not going to start on new "ultra-energy" stuff now...

SIS bars work okay with me so have a few of them and flapjacks too.

alicat

Legendary Member
You'll be fine. Just keep to tried and tested kit that doesn't chafe and get up out of the saddle from time to time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With the averages you've been doing you'll have no trouble at all doing a 100. Stick to an average 2-3 mph below your usual. Do nothing strenuous for a week before but eat well. My advice is not to eat a huge pasta meal the night before because that will have you needing the bog at least once the next morning.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not a great deal to add to what has already been said. My first imperial century was in January, I just went a bit slower than normal, used equipment I knew was comfy and made sure I stopped for a bite to eat and drink.

All good advice above. Try and do 100 miles in a week but not the week before your ride. A well founded theory that if you can manage it in week you will do it in a day.

If you’re in a bunch, use someone around you as a draught, you’ll save about 30% effort that way. Drink little and often, eat sensibly, enjoy the ride.

gbb

Legendary Member
With the averages you've been doing you'll have no trouble at all doing a 100. Stick to an average 2-3 mph below your usual. Do nothing strenuous for a week before but eat well. My advice is not to eat a huge pasta meal the night before because that will have you needing the bog at least once the next morning.
This is what I'd advise, knock a mph or two off your cruising speed. I used that on my longest ride (82 miles....when 50 to 60 was my norm) and it's quite relaxing when you don' have to push along all the time, it's a different experience altogether.
Do nothing strenuous the week before sounds good as well...i often worry I'll struggle on rides when I've had a week off....but the exact opposite happens....im full of go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most cyclists underestimate the value of rest. I have to go away for 2 week trips when I eat a high-protein diet and do zero exercise and I always feel strong on the bike on my return. In the summer most of us are in a state of permanent mild fatigue.

Top Bottom