First clipless day today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have been cycling a while now, the OH has been cycling for about 3 years on and off, and today we finally went clipless.
We went off to Mildenhall Cycle Rally yesterday and got SPD pedals each and I got road shoes (more tri shoes really but they were so comfy) and hubby got mountain bike shoes as he says the road shoes are too narrow for his wider feet. While there we also found a new warm cycling jersey for me and a new helmet as my old one has decided that it doesn't want to stay the same size for a whole ride anymore.
Hubby fitted the pedals and cleats this morning and we spent a bit of time in the garden practicing clipping in and out before going out for a ride.

What a massive difference those SPDs are from rat-traps! The little hills around our way (S Norfolk so they are not proper hills) seemed to be so much flatter and it was all a lot less effort generally. We still only averaged about 12mph moving speed (I had to slow down and wait a lot over the last 10 miles or so as hubby was knackered). I should have done this a year ago when I bought the Giant instead of waiting until I was more used to it. The rat-traps can go in the bin cos they are never going back on the bike again. Even hubby was impressed with them.

I am just so excited about having them and how brilliant they are, I just had to tell someone and my mates locally think that I am bonkers to cycle, let alone spending money on new pedals and shoes.

Lee_M

Guru
Brilliant they are loads better arent they

don't forget to tell us when you have your first fall
when you cant get your foot out (happened to me yesterday)

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have taken the precaution of having my pedals quite loose while I am learning on them ^_^ I did have a bit of a 'moment' on the way out of Wymondham this morning, but I got my foot out just in time and didn't fall into a big patch of stinging nettles. Hubby nearly choked on his ribena.

I am actually finding it harder to click in than get out. Especially the right foot. Having said that, I was pants at getting the right foot in to its rat-trap. Once the right foot was in, it stayed in unless I was going for a coffee.

Drago

Legendary Member
I love clipless, and apart from at work haven't ridden flats for best part of a decade. I use Shimano M520's or 540's on all my bikes, partly because I prefer recessed cleats, but mainly so I can use any of my shoes on any of my bikes.

You'll pick it up very quickly, nay probs. IMHO, too many people move to clipless before their basic riding skills are up to snuff, and that's why they have thes offs so soon after switching.

techgirl

First SPD day yesturday. Braked in front of one of Laura Trott's gold postboxes and toppled over pulling the bike on top of me.
The man walking his dog that I stopped for could not contain his laughter (sigh).
I then did it again less than 5 mins later after stopping for a couple of old ladies crossing the road.
Got tutted at for my language.
Better today (so far)

spacecadet9

danielhpavey
My first set of SPD shoes and pedals are in the post right now...

I'm really looking forward to trying them out (even more so seeing this post)

Although I am bracing myself for what I fear is the inevitable humiliation of falling over when clipped in!

mattsr

I changed to clipless pedals a few years ago and the difference was amazing. Only had one embarassing topple, very first time out with them, made the elementary mistake of applying the brakes and coasting to a dignified stop before I unclipped. There followed the rather less dignified sight of my good self toppling gently over onto the kerb, much to the amusement of some passing motorists. :shy: However I soon got used to the routine.

Unfortunately I am temporarily back to flat pedals as some toe-rag stole my cycling shoes out of my panniers a few weeks ago, but I'll be going back to clipless as soon as funds allow for the purchase of a new pair. And I won't leave them with the bike next time!!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Unfortunately I am temporarily back to flat pedals as some toe-rag stole my cycling shoes out of my panniers a few weeks ago, but I'll be going back to clipless as soon as funds allow for the purchase of a new pair. And I won't leave them with the bike next time!!

They'll be in for a shock when they wear them to the pub! They're the cycling equivilent of trying to shoplift marracas!

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I changed to clipless pedals on Friday. After coming back to cycling a year and a half ago. I couldnt believe how much difference they make cycling has become easier, my only wish is I had done it sooner.... Not yet had any moments as I am very wary when approaching anything like a slowing moment. I have only cycled about 95miles on them so far so I am sure there is still Plenty of time, probably when I become complacent..

I've only been out on two rides in them but aren't enjoying them yet personally! The first outing, I had the cleats turned too much inwards causing some slight knee pain, but today I rectified that. I've now found that my main issue is the hills, which feel much more difficult. I suspect my cleats are too far forward, meaning I'm cycling on my toes. Determined to get there eventually!!!

Anyone else fine with clipping out, but having embarrassingly 'slippy' moments at roundabouts and such? I just can't get the bike moving and get in quick enough without falling about!

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
The little hills around our way (S Norfolk so they are not proper hills) .

I got some today too. All fine for the most part :smile:

Getting out of them seems fine. It's the clicking back into them I'm still figuring trying to figure out. Anyway, commuting tomorrow with about 6 sets of tragic lights to stop at. Hope I don't make an arse of myself :smile:

I'm sure theres a hill in Norwich somewhere ;)

Top Bottom