First close call today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

I was flying down Liverpool's Smithdown Road (streetview) this afternoon, a lovely long downhill stretch. Two lanes, all the traffic in the right-hand lane because of the odd parked car partly in the left lane, but that left long stretches where it was just me in the left lane, going faster than the traffic. At the bottom of the hill, a set of lights, everyone (incl. me) slows up. A car I had just overtaken pulls up to the right of me, then suddenly decides he needs to turn left at the lights, so nearly sideswipes me. I yell, "Jesus, watch it!" loud enough that both he and his startled wife (passenger seat) hear, and he slams on anchors and veers back into his lane.

Collision avoided.

It was bloody close, though - I reckon there must have been a max of 5cm between his car (v expensive Merc) and my right pedal.

I turned at the lights (he didn't in the end, I reckon he found another route out of embarrassment), stopped and sat there shaking for a while. If he'd hit me, the relative velocities were negligible, but I just had a vision of his car knocking me down and riding right over me.

I've been riding since May, I think, that was the first time I've at all felt at risk. Up until now, every driver I've come across has given me loads of room, no problems. I certainly feel a little bit more vulnerable now.

(Of course, the best outcome might have been him knocking me down but not injuring me, but totalling my bike - I'm desperate for a new bike as mine's a total POS, but I'm utterly skint!)

decca234uk

You were lucky at least he heard you, I had a similar event early in the year. I've been thinking of buying a high pitched horn for things like this. Sometimes the driver might not hear you if he'd got the radio blasting out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You were lucky at least he heard you, I had a similar event early in the year. I've been thinking of buying a high pitched horn for things like this. Sometimes the driver might not hear you if he'd got the radio blasting out.

Get one of these they will hear you, i have made my ears ring when i tested it in the shed ........i got mine cheap off ebay,it certainly lets other road users know you are there !

photo0017802_L.jpg

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=239

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
(Of course, the best outcome might have been him knocking me down but not injuring me, but totalling my bike - I'm desperate for a new bike as mine's a total POS, but I'm utterly skint!)

Even a small collision could put you in an ambulance. As many of us have found out. :wacko: Better to save (or blackmail someone, LMAO!) :laugh:

OP
OP
A

alasdairgf

I guess the Airzound is an option, but my guess is that when it's needed you don't have time to use it! Wouldn't have had time to use it today until after the guy had already avoided colliding with me... thought it might have felt good to give the pillock a blast.

Trumpettom001

I have an airzound also - but in the handful of close calls I've had - I haven't had time to use it.. It's mounted on on the vertical part of the left hand bar, just under the brake lever...

I'm considering rigging up a cable system that would be a bit easier to activate than the fiddly little button, but that wouldn't require you to take your hand off the brakes... - This would also mean that the "sounder" could be placed in the centre of the bars out of the way...

30x8jcx.jpg

Top Bottom