First commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halloway

My first commute this morning, 11 miles through town and 'edge-of-city'/semi-rural main road. Remarkably easy considering my 16-stone-plus weight and general lack of condition. It took about 50 minutes as opposed to 20-25 on a motorbike.

I'm pleased to report that there were only two 'incidents': the first was when a car and trailer decided to treat me as a gap in traffic and the second when a flatbed undertook another truck on a wide single-carriageway and nearly swiped me in the process.

It's an ideal time to start commuting as the roads are now comparatively quiet in rush hour (at least they are in East Riding). It's a good time to get to know busy routes in relative safety.

Halloway said:
My first commute this morning, 11 miles through town and 'edge-of-city'/semi-rural main road. Remarkably easy considering my 16-stone-plus weight and general lack of condition. It took about 50 minutes as opposed to 20-25 on a motorbike.

I'm pleased to report that there were only two 'incidents': the first was when a car and trailer decided to treat me as a gap in traffic and the second when a flatbed undertook another truck on a wide single-carriageway and nearly swiped me in the process.

It's an ideal time to start commuting as the roads are now comparatively quiet in rush hour (at least they are in East Riding). It's a good time to get to know busy routes in relative safety.

Good for you and well done on your first commute.

It will get easier, honest! I am trying to convince myself as well....

Adrian

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Well done Halloway! It's a great feeling isn't it. I did my first commute in the East Riding back in March and am still loving it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well done on the first of many commutes :biggrin: The roads in the East Riding are very quiet compared with elsewhere in the UK. We are very lucky round here to have so many quiet country lanes :biggrin:

OP
OP
H

Halloway

Soltydog said:
Well done on the first of many commutes :biggrin: The roads in the East Riding are very quiet compared with elsewhere in the UK. We are very lucky round here to have so many quiet country lanes :biggrin:

It's quite a good area to be a cyclist insofar that there's a mix of flat and moderately hilly. I'm looking forward to heading out into the Wolds and trying out a few hills I've noticed on my travels.

Top Bottom