First Decent Road Bike - Boardman Road Comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

Got my new bike today, a nice new Boardman Road Comp from halfords £630 through the cycle to work scheme. my previous bike was a muddy fox blade road bike (universal cycles) that i bought from tesco last year for £170. it was a good bike when it worked but cheap components meant that it started falling to bits

Just thought i would post my initial thoughts on the bike, i've only done about 15 miles on it so far.

Boardman_Road_Comp_xl.jpg

first thing you notice about the bike is the looks. to my untrained eye it looks like a bike that should cost a lot more than it does. the white suits it brilliantly and the smooth welding makes it look carbon.

surprisingly when you first get on the bike your first thoughts are about the pedals, there clips which i absolutely hate. i find them inpossible to get back into if i have to stop at a junction. ive bought some double sided spd pedals, just need to get some shoes now.

when you start riding you begin to realize how good the bike is. its a lot lighter than my old bike, it weighs 9.5kg compared to my old bikes 15kgs and the difference it makes is amazing. acceleration is fast and the bike is a joy to ride, when combined with the carbon forks, it soaks up road vibrations well and allows you to keep pedaling where in the past i would coast if the road was a bit bumpy.

Hitting the first hills it gets even better i was able to tackle them in higher gears due to the dfference in weight and felt less tired. using strava for the first run, i got a pb and came second on all the other hills even with a very strong head wind here in north wales.

on the gears front its equipped with sram apex, with a compact 50 34 crank and 11-32 rear casette. the result of this is that its blisteringly fast when in the highest gear and will allow even the newest of riders to tackle big hills with relative ease.

the double tap shifters took a quick google search to learn how to use but i've found them lightening quick to change gear and easy to use, the only downside being is that i cant tell what gear i'm in until i cant shift anymore but you quickly get used to it.

to summarize its an amazing bike that will suit both experienced riders and newcomers. if your looking for a bike in this price range go for it, just bear in mind though, you'll probably want to get a new set of pedals unless you like clips.

i cant wait to do a long ride on it, hopefully the weather will be good this sunday :bicycle:

defy-one

Saturday is your best day :smile:

Good choice of bike!

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

im working untill 11pm saturday though, bit of an intensive shift so cant turn up knackered after a 60/70 mile ride :biggrin: ill be commuting to work so might add a few extra miles on

AndyRM

XOXO
The Boardman range really does seem to get excellent reviews. Maybe Halfords ain't so bad after all!

That's a lovely looking bike, not sure I'd have the patience to keep a white bike clean!

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

did you have problems fitting a front light to yours.. ive taken the lights off my old bike but it doesn't fasten properly. ive got it on but looks like bracket will snap over time

This Time Next Year

If the pedals are anything like the pedals on the Boardman Hybrid Comp that I got (and I suspect they are) then the clips and straps are easily removed. You'll need to pop out the pedal reflectors with a small screwdriver, and undo the clips with the newly exposed screw. The pedal reflectors pop back in when you're done.

(Unless of course you'd still take clips rather than bare pedals while you wait for your shoes)

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

If the pedals are anything like the pedals on the Boardman Hybrid Comp that I got (and I suspect they are) then the clips and straps are easily removed. You'll need to pop out the pedal reflectors with a small screwdriver, and undo the clips with the newly exposed screw. The pedal reflectors pop back in when you're done.

(Unless of course you'd still take clips rather than bare pedals while you wait for your shoes)

the clips are god while riding the problem is when stopping/starting, he pedals flip over and i cant get my foot in

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had my comp a year and its still a cracking bike, members of my club ask if its carbon because of the smooth welds .^_^
I use the bike for riding with the club and its comfortable all day long ,the only thing i would change now is to buy better wheels but for the price they a good set .For commuting i still use my virtuoso as it has a paiiner rack, full gaurds etc and enough lights in winter to land a plane according to my workmates ;)

I changed the cassette for a closer range ratio recently as i found i never needed wide range cassette to an 11-28 although i probably could have gone to a 25 but its nice to have a bail out gear just in case.The pedals i changed to m520 spd`s as i use 1 system on all my bikes for interchangability , looking to get some single sided versions soon .Since i took the picture below the seat has gone up a bit , the stem has dropped a large spacer, the white tape changed for black as it got mucky quickly and a wireless computer has been ditched for a sleeker version.

10041j.jpg

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I had one, qualified for age group world and european champs on it (triathlon). I gave it to my son after buying a TT bike but missed the boardman so bought another one.

Top Bottom