First Electric Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I was trying to buy a Ridgeback Horizon via Gumtree, but after 3 times being refused an address to collect from I gave up, but I'd seen an ad for a Sakura electric bike listed at the same time so I went and looked at it and as it was 90% as new I promptly bought it, for £50. It is hideous.

The previous owner included the original receipt for £500. It has indicators, spectacularly large mirrors and a top box and carrier. :okay: The batteries are kaput, I've ordered new ones via Ebay, Lucas 12v 15AH x3, for £70. I couldn't fit it in my car so it has to be ridden home, although it's only 1.5 miles away, this is proving problematic because there is no way I am riding it and my 16 year old son wants money to do it, I don't blame him.

It's going to be surprise for my good lady who keeps moaning about the hard climb she has to do every night from the canal towpath to our house. I am hoping that from a woman's perspective, the bike looks "cute"?

sakurashopper.jpg

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It looks like someone's put wheels on an exercise bike.

I was trying to buy a Ridgeback Horizon via Gumtree, but after 3 times being refused an address to collect from I gave up, but I'd seen an ad for a Sakura electric bike listed at the same time so I went and looked at it and as it was 90% as new I promptly bought it, for £50. It is hideous.

The previous owner included the original receipt for £500. It has indicators, spectacularly large mirrors and a top box and carrier. :okay: The batteries are kaput, I've ordered new ones via Ebay, Lucas 12v 15AH x3, for £70. I couldn't fit it in my car so it has to be ridden home, although it's only 1.5 miles away, this is proving problematic because there is no way I am riding it and my 16 year old son wants money to do it, I don't blame him.

It's going to be surprise for my good lady who keeps moaning about the hard climb she has to do every night from the canal towpath to our house. I am hoping that from a woman's perspective, the bike looks "cute"?

sakurashopper.jpg
Cute is not a word I would use. I think I would also want paying to be seen out riding it !!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Only you can know how your other half might feel about it .... but maybe if it meant she was able to cycle she might give it a go? You may as well try it and then if the worst comes to the worst you could always sell it on with it's new battery.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You obviously don't like your wife very much. Neither you or your son will be seen dead riding it, but you expect your wife to? And you only paid £50?

Its hideous, fugly.
It's the equivalent of buying her a set of frying pans on her birthday, sitting down wearing a napkin while holding a knife and fork and bellowing, "Come on then, get on with it, I'm starving".

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If she's mentioned an electric bike would be a good thing for that hill, or talked about cycling being too much because of it then there's nothing to say it's a terrible present.

My wife has a hat no-one else in the house would wear, doesn't mean she hates it...

Top Bottom