First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I am currently part-way through a day-long test drive with an electric MINI and I have to say that so far I am pretty impressed. I am considering replacing my MINI Cooper S and have been offered a good deal to chop it in early against the EV. Today is the first time I have driven an EV other than a golf buggy. My thoughts:
  • It's got all the low-down pep that I was expecting
  • When underway it feels remarkably similar to my Cooper S
  • Lift-off regen braking takes a little getting used to but having got the hang of it I love the one pedal driving dynamic
  • Range - yes, it's not great but >95% of my journeys are easily within range and it'd probably do 2-3 days before needing charging
  • It's the first 3-door I've driven since my Peugeot 205 XS in the mid-90s - it has less rear legroom than my current 5-door but still enough for the 11-13yo kids and as it is a strict 4-seater rather than 5 they have more width in the rear.
I imagine an order will follow the test drive - just have to configure the body colour, roof/mirror colour and wheel options - there aren't many more options to consider as it is pretty well-specced as standard (the Level 2).

I am a life-long 'petrol-head' although really I am a vehicle enthusiast rather than specifically a petrol engine lover. I love driving anything and everything: motorbikes, cars of all shapes and speeds (from a Fiat 126 to a Lamborghini Aventador), tractors, trucks, go-karts, even an APC. This MINI brings a new driving dynamic to learn and master and I like that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Daughter #3 receives her Mini electric in September, the same day Mrs D takes delivery of her Polestar 2.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think the battery range of all electric cars is still quite iffy. What they say you get and the reality are quite different. They're claims are based on very strict controlled parameters that are nigh on impossible to achieve in real life . I did hear within the last couple of days that the differance is up to a third of what they claim to achieve.

Glad to hear the experience of actually driving one is good though.

midlife

Guru
We have had 4 minis and at the moment we have a Countyryman Cooper so well known to the people at LLoyd Mini Carlisle LOL.

When the time came to hand back the Evoque I looked at an electric Mini but could not make the figures stack up against a cheap £3.5k petrol runabout. Next time maybe.

vickster

Legendary Member
We have had 4 minis and at the moment we have a Countyryman Cooper so well known to the people at LLoyd Mini Carlisle LOL.

When the time came to hand back the Evoque I looked at an electric Mini but could not make the figures stack up against a cheap £3.5k petrol runabout. Next time maybe.
Bet you couldn't wait to get rid of the pointless fugly thing :laugh:

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think the battery range of all electric cars is still quite iffy. What they say you get and the reality are quite different. They're claims are based on very strict controlled parameters that are nigh on impossible to achieve in real life . I did hear within the last couple of days that the difference is up to a third of what they claim to achieve.
To be fair the same applies to mpg numbers and has done ever since they were required to be quoted. I work alongside the automotive industry and have worked on vehicle efficiency programs so am well-versed in the testing requirements and realities. Even so, when you can refill your car every night and your journeys are almost all well under even the most pessimistic range estimate, it's not a problem.

They reckon it'll do 4 miles/kW.h and at my current, non-EV-specific domestic electricity tariff that means about 4p/mile compared to about 16p/mile on unleaded at today's prices. The car is showing better than 4 miles/kW.h on the dashboard at the moment, based on my experimental driving (so not efficiency-optimised!).

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The standard wheels can be swapped for one of 3 other styles at no cost on the mini electric. I kinda like the stock ones, remnicscent of a 3 pin plug.

Because Daughter #3 was buying ive been poring over the brochures with her, and i have to say they do look rather nice. The range is a little limited compared to some because Mini use a smaller battery, but the upside is that charging times are very quick and what is there is probably sensible for most folk. The Zoe has rather more range, but who wants to sit in a diddy car for 245 miles? Not me for sure.

The Mini electric weighs about 140kg more than the Cooper S, but has a lower C of G so probably is quite sure footed to fling about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Deed done - ETA November/December. British Racing Green, body-coloured roof and mirrors, Rail Spoke 17" wheels. Rather like this actually:
1627665808856.png

The Mini electric weighs about 140kg more than the Cooper S, but has a lower C of G so probably is quite sure footed to fling about.
I could detect a teensy bit of front-endiness when pushed through a corner, but since the MINI is one of the least understeery cars I have driven in a long time it is barely worth mentioning. Other than that it handled very similarly to the belchy-engined one but with much more responsive pick-up and very handy regen braking.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just a question,as you will not be able to buy a non ev or hybrid new by 2030 how will it affect the second hand market and given the cost of battery replacement will second hand ev cars be useable as the range drops?.Not everyone can afford a new car

Top Bottom