First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I am a life-long 'petrol-head' although really I am a vehicle enthusiast rather than specifically a petrol engine lover.

Am not sure why you waited so long to try an EV. I traded in a 380whp BMW 335i running a Quaife LSD, Bilstein dampers for a Nissan Leaf after a test drive!!

I haven't looked back since, and when our current EV is due for replacement some time near 2030, I cannot wait to try a quad motor, 1000bhp+ machine that will do 0-100mph in sub 4 seconds :smile:.

16862179085_62d74251f4_c_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
given the cost of battery replacement will second hand ev cars be useable

EV battery cost replacements are doing quite nicely now. A brand new 90kWh pack (250miles+ range) use to cost £30-40k, its now down to £20k, and in a few years will be close to £10k.

Still alot of money but its getting there.

Degredation is also not terrible on used EVs, at 40k miles our EV has lost 5% in range and that figure seems pretty static now. Judging by data from older EVs, at 100k miles degradation should still be at roughly 5%.

keithmac

Guru
I'm still waiting for an affordable EV motorcycle, it is the future.

I can also see an EV car in our house for wife's work journey etc.

Towing wise though they are pretty useless, a proper diesel is still a necessity if you own a caravan it seems..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
EV battery cost replacements are doing quite nicely now. A brand new 90kWh pack (250miles+ range) use to cost £30-40k, its now down to £20k, and in a few years will be close to £10k.

Still alot of money but its getting there.

Degredation is also not terrible on used EVs, at 40k miles our EV has lost 5% in range and that figure seems pretty static now. Judging by data from older EVs, at 100k miles degradation should still be at roughly 5%.
still above my budget at 10 k for a whole car

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Towing wise though they are pretty useless, a proper diesel is still a necessity if you own a caravan it seems..
We comfortably tow a 1,461kg caravan with a petrol-engined Volvo and when it is time to replace it we’ll probably go for a PHEV version. Teslas can tow pretty well, although range takes a dent.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My Golf hybrid was a left field purchase as I had been looking at a Merc SLK, Golf GTI or Golf R. I think it's great. The electric range isn't good compared to a full EV, but it suits me and with hindsight I could have gone full EV.

midlife

Guru
Yep, our Countryman is BRG too :smile:

keithmac

Guru
To be fair 100 miles towing is pretty good for a pure EV, probably Tesla is the only one to achieve that for a long time to come.

Would mean 3 long stops to Cornwall though for us..

@Spiderweb I’m not sure who is sizzling more:becool::hyper:, your daughter or the car! Both look ready for many happy miles together with the top down. Bet she is buzzing with it!

Unfortunately for me until they develop a 3isofix rear seat EV car I’ll be sticking to a Renault Scenic, Ford Smax or VW Touran to fit my three and my other half in.

gzoom

Über Member
Unfortunately for me until they develop a 3isofix rear seat EV car I’ll be sticking to a Renault Scenic, Ford Smax or VW Touran to fit my three and my other half in.

Our X has 4 isofix points in back, though its hardly an affordable family car, not helped by Tesla putting up the price of a new one by £5000 recently!!!

full

Top Bottom